Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Voting Booth, Volume III

Ok, so my Oscar reactions are coming shortly but I have to take a few minutes to weigh in on the current election climate; particularly on the Democratic side of the ring.

What I am seeing from the Clinton and Obama campaigns is exactly what terrifies me about the prospect of a President. Any President. I'm not going to discuss their platforms. I'm not going to talk about their healthcare plans. I'm not going to mention any of their political view, votes, or visions. I'm getting ahead of myself...

I've talked about it before: The President that I want is a person (see, I refrained from saying "man" even though I would have meant it generically)... a person who feels called to lead. One who begrudgingly takes the position of leadership because the citizens are begging them to. I want a George Washington, who twice retired from public office before finally being able to retire to Mount Vernon. I want a Caesar Augustus, who thrice refused to return as Caesar before he could ignore his fellow Romans' pleas no longer. I want Thomas Jefferson, who basically said that his name would be on the ballot and vote for him if you wanted to, otherwise, he'd be more than happy to stay at Monticello.

I do not see any of these people from the left side of the aisle. What I am seeing in our Democratic candidates is a hunger, a drive, a desire, an incomparable yearning for the power of the White House. I see two similar candidates attempting to destroy each other because they both want the title so badly. These aren't people who are concerned about the status of their platforms. They share so many of the same ideas that it doesn't matter which one of them is elected: Healthcare would be a huge topic; the war would be altered; minimum wage would change... These are two people whose primary goal is the advancement of themselves, not their country.

Compare this to Mitt Romney: He threw in the towel (to continue the boxing metaphor) because he wanted the Republican Candidate to be able to focus on a national campaign, rather than spend time and money attempting to sway like-minded voters. Here is a man who would rather see another Republican in office over someone who holds political views that differ from his own.

The Democrats, meanwhile, are causing irreparable damage to each other as they attempt to claw their way to the nomination. Every sound-bite, every photograph, every stab, jab, and upper cut is ammunition that the Republicans can use again during the national campaign.

It's not the office of power that frightens me. It is the person who so strongly and blatantly desires that power who does. I want a candidate, a President, who's first concern is for the country, not one who's first concern is for themselves.

This is why I fear, yes fear, a Clinton or Obama Presidency. It is not their spoken plans, policies, or platforms. It is that characteristic that recklessly drives them to ceaselessly strive for the Oval Office, letting no one stand in their way. That need for power that knows no satisfaction.

Of course, I could be wrong in all of this. It's possible that what I'm seeing as a desire for power is, in fact, simply a desire for posterity. If either were to win, they would be first in their respective uniqueness: First Woman, First African American. (Of course, the insatiable desire to have your name in the history books is not much of a step from the lust for power...) Or, perhaps once one is nominated and has the full support of their party all of this will change. But it won't remove it entirely. This episode will still remain, regardless of what type of national campaign they run. Right now, it's what I see, and it's just my opinion.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you said thrice. Who the heck says thrice anymore??? ; )

Unknown said...

Marc,

Hello from 90 degrees in the UAE. Questions for ya: IS there someone who doesn't want the post? Who are you likely to vote for? Is there someone who meets your standards?

Otherwise, how's life? Your baby? Any more on the way??? :)

Jenna

Anonymous said...

Ron Paul is a perfect example of one who joined the Presidential race begrudgingly and, as he quite often admits during interviews, with much hestitation. I will try to find some of those interviews. But alas, America is still too stupid to vote for him.

Anonymous said...

My brother, we have heard your view on the democrats, what do you think about the republican race where two men are also seeking the title. Where is the line between offering the people a choice and seeking your own glory?

p.s.
I'd vote for George over Ceasar.

Marc said...

Of course it is difficult for me to find someone who matches the design that I've described. I would agree with 2:10: Ron Paul has certainly come closest in recent memory with Nader coming in a close second.

Welcome to Jneil! While there are two people "running" for the Republican nomination, there's really only one. Huckabee has dissapointed me as he's wasted his time and money in continuing this futile fight. And while there are two, the campaigns are different. There aren't desparate lobs of grenades being tossed over the "friendship ditch" between the two.

That, and there is enough of a difference between the Rep candidates that there actually is a choice. Huck and Mc have very different views on key platforms. H and B do not. Chosing between those two is like choosing between mint chocolate chip with rainbow sprinkles or mint chocolate chip with chocolate sprinkles. (Jimmies for those of you reading in MA, shots for those of you in CT) It's gonna taste the same, in only looks a little different.

Anonymous said...

"Ron Paul has certainly come closest in recent memory with Nader coming in a close second."

YOU ARE RIGHT ON!!! :) And no one even comes remotely close to these two!