Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Few Thoughts

Fatherhood: It is hard to believe that our little Full House is already two years old! Let me tell you: This second year flew by so much faster than the first. I look back at pictures from his first birthday and I am amazed at how much he's grown; both physically and developementally. He already has so many of our cultural norms under his belt. He is so excited about his "baby sistour." I think I understand now when parents say "it went by so fast." It's been two years in the blink of an eye.

Gloucester: It would be difficult for anyone to have missed the story coming out of Gloucester the past few days. With a dramatic spike in teen pregnancies, the principle of GHS decided he was going to get to he bottom of the situation. What he learned was shocking and concerning. Many of the girls had made a pact with each other to get pregnant! No one is quite sure why. Theories range from they wanted to experience pregnancy together to they wanted someone who would love them unconditionally and many in between. While I admire the concept behind the school system providing free child care for high school moms so that they can stay in school, I can't help but think this advantage aided in the girls decision to procreate. While this story by itself is jaw-dropping, I think the response by the medical staff of the high school was even more amazing! The nurse and the advisor to the entire school system suggested that the best solution would be to prescribe more contraceptives. They felt so strongly about this that when the school system (and parents) declined to take this action, they both resigned out of protest. Does this make any sense to anyone? Here are girls making every effort to get pregnant (One so much that she slept with a 24 year old homeless man). These are girls who were disappointed when their school-provided pregnancy tests were negative. Yet your solution to prevention is to prescribe pills that we all know they won't take?! I would hope they were fired for their stupidity! When will we realize that most solutions are only attacking the symptoms?

Sports: If not for 35 seconds in the Super Bowl, Boston would have had the championships in MLB, NFL, and NBA in one year!

Final Thoughts: One more (pitiful) request. With our move out of state and a sharp decline in comments, I feel that the readership of this blog has sharply declined. So, if you are reading this blog, please let me know by dropping a little boring comment on this post. It's been so long because two posts ago I mentioned that our Little Full House broke his leg, and no one said a thing. So even if you just say "reading" it'll mean a lot to me. Thanks.

Be sure to catch my review of The Business of Being Born on the post below!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Marc, I've been reading. Sadly I think I missed the fact about your boy breaking his leg because the post started with sports talk (which I usually skip/skim) and then ended with sort of a rant on health care (which I also usually skip). So I don't think I took the broken leg to be the main point of the post and thus didn't really give it much thought. That being said, I hope he's doing ok!

Dawn said...

I am an avid reader! I'm the nerdy kid who always has to comment (although I was having an off day when you posted about the broken leg). I was wondering where your readers went too!!

Feel free to comment on my blog more frequently as well! (that goes for you too miss Queen!)

Dawn said...

And regarding the rest of the post, my thought is teen pregnancy is radically "romanticized" these days with Juno and some new show on ABC "Family". I agree, those employees who quit seemed to be using this event as a platform to push the contraceptives idea.

Where are the parents???

Unknown said...

Hey Marc,
I read quite frequently actually. I'm sorry I never offered support for your little one on the broken leg, that post came at unusually busy time and while I read it I never got around to getting back here to post a comment about it. I hope that he's feeling better and I'm sure that in a few years he won't even remember it happened! :) Congrats on the the expectation of a little girl, and I hope that the "Queen of Hearts" is doing well.

Anonymous said...

Marc,

You KNOW I read this faithfully! I just get lost in the sports-lingo sometime. If I can't understand the first couple of paragraphs I tend to skip the rest--- my bad!

I LOVE your posts on politics and current events. SO GLAD you posted on the pregnancies at Gloucester High. I would love to hear more on that, from a youth ministry perspective. How does one prevent what one can barely fathom -- "oh and by the way, if you were thinking of making a stupid pact about having babies -- here's why that's a bad idea..."

Sorry I haven't commented as regularly. I'm still an avid reader and love to hear your opinion.

We miss you guys!

Lynn-nore

Anonymous said...

I don't read ... I just look at the pretty colors.

Anonymous said...

Still reading every now and then. Probably missed that post somehow. Oh and by the by, I enjoy listening to your sermons. Wish I could attend one in person. I'm sure it's 10x better.

Anonymous said...

Hey Marc, let's forget about the 35 seconds and pretend we won, seems to work for some.
Anyway, I read saturday's post and it was great to see you. Has your "full house" managed to get that "T" ball through any glass yet?
Hope you guys are well, see ya.
-Jon

Anonymous said...

Hey Marc,
You know I read your blog, especially when it's about parenthood, politics, or current events! I will comment on your Business of Being Born review when I get a chance. I have been dying for you to review it for a long time now! :)

Also, happy belated birthday to your 2 year old. Our little girl's birthday is exactly 1 month before your Full House so I remembered! And you're expecting a girl? Cool!!!

I've been lost in the blogosphere for a long time now, well actually not online that much to read blogs or even catch up on emails because I am online during naptime or nighttime. I am so sorry about your little boy's broken leg. I would like to hear more about this and how he is doing. You won't believe it, but our little girl broke her leg a few weeks ago and has been in a full leg cast ever since. Email me when you get a chance. My email is the same as always...my gordon user name at hotmail. OK, too much to say and not enough time to say it. Gotta run...