Monday, August 25, 2008

Voting Booth, Volume VII

Joe Biden!

Joe Biden is Barack Obama's running mate!

I was so hoping that the Democrats would select Joe Biden! There is so much blog fodder I don't even know where to begin!

Joe Biden is 65 years old! So much for the "He's too old to run for office" that the Dems were attempting to hold against McCain for all it was worth. Hmm. Kinda makes all of the other "he's too old to lead" inferences null and void, too.

Joe Biden is the man who was railed on for saying, “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.” Clearly this is a racist statement and there were many many supporters of Obama saw it the same way. I'm not hearing their outrage right now... are you?

On November 27, 2005, regarding Iraq, Joe also said, “I’ve been calling for more troops for over two years, along with John McCain and others subsequent to my saying that.” Whoops, it's gonna be hard to defend that one!

This one too: On Hussein’s WMDs Joe Biden said, “Well, the point is, it turned out they didn’t, but everyone in the world thought he had them. The weapons inspectors said he had them. He catalogued — they catalogued them. This was not some, some Cheney, you know, pipe dream. This was, in fact, catalogued.”

(Isn't this great? But wait, there's more!)

Joe Biden also said, “The more people learn about them [Obama and Hillary] and how they handle the pressure, the more their support will evaporate.” But apparently, Biden's support hasn't. I guess when opportunity knocks, it doesn't much matter whose hand it's using!

On December 11, 2007, Biden's campaign said, “If Iowans believe campaign funds and celebrity will fix the debacle in Iraq, put the economy on track, and provide health care and education for America’s children, they should support another candidate. But I’m confident that Iowans know what I know: our problems will require experience and leadership from Day One. Empty slogans will be no match for proven action on caucus night.”

Later that night Biden also said, "When this campaign is over, political slogans like ‘change’ will mean absolutely nothing. The next president has to act.” I'm gonna doubt they are going to change thier slogan now that Biden's on board. But I've been complaining that this entire campaign has been empty. Biden's addition doesn't change that.

(I saved the best for last)

On August 2, 2005 Joe said, “John McCain is a personal friend, a great friend, and I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off.”

Joe Biden also said during his campaign for his party's nomination, "I am not running for Vice President and if I were offered the position, I would refuse it." Nothing like sticking to your principles, right Joe? He has yet to attempt to glaze over this glaring inconsistency with some other substance less statement.

And finally, while running for the Democratic presidential nominee, Joe Biden said, "Barak Obama is not ready to lead because the presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training.” Then, on October 30, 2007, Joe Biden said “The only guy on the other side who’s qualified is John McCain.” Sounds to me like Joe Biden would vote for McCain over Obama!

He has attempted to combat these statements by saying, "No one knows better than I do, after the last 18 months, that Barack has met his challenges with judgement and wisdom and steel in his spine. I have watched as he has inspired millions of Americans to this new cause.” No one knows better than Joe? Really? No one? I'll bet Michelle might have something to say about that. (You aren't actually a Senator from Idaho, are you Joe?) And he is so right on: I can't imagine a more important characteristic for a president than "inspiring." I guess Dr. Phil should be president. Maya Angelou as well. Don't forget Depak Chopra... These are all very inspiring people. Oh, and Joe? What challenges has Obama met with a "steel spine" in the past 18 months? The softballs from the national media? The rocketing to the top by the democratic party? The lemming like worship from the left? I'm not seeing any "challenges." Before you go, Joe, one more question: What's the "new cause?" Getting out of Iraq? Old. Nationalized healthcare? Old. Bigger government? Old. Catering to special interests? Old. I'm just not seeing it. I think the only new thing I've heard of is his desire to meet with leaders of countries who hate us with no strings attached. That's new.

Of course, this is all ignoring the fact that Obama promised that if you signed up to receive the text message announcement of this VP you'd be the first to know. Whoops, the story leaked and news stations were reporting it before the text message went out. Obama's camp scrambled and phones were buzzing all over the east coast at 3 am with the ever important text message. Nothing like breaking an easy promise. (What really cracks me up is the people savvy enough to want the text message probably read it and thought, "Who the heck is Joe Biden?! This must be a joke, he's supposed to pick Hillary.")

Wow. A text message to announce your choice for VP. That's what I want, a hip president. Maybe his state of the union address can be a music video.

And for all of the Biden bashing, we can't forget the infamous words spoken by Barack himself after winning the Senate seat in 2004 when asked why he'd ruled out running nationally. He answered, "I'm a firm believer in knowing what you are doing before applying for a job. If I were to run nationally, I'd have to begin right now before serving even a single day in the Senate. Some people might be comfortable with that. I am not one of those people." What happened to that Barack Obama? I don't know because he certainly isn't running for president!

The Democrats might have thought that Joe Biden would be a shot in the arm for their campaign. Looks more like he's gonna be a shot in the foot!

Oh well, this is all just my opinion anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As always, I love reading your political take on things. I always walk away with some sort of gem I can throw into the conversation.

So, can you paint us a word picture for what you think America would be like under each candidate?

Also, can you tell me one thing you like about Obama and one thing you don't like about McCain?

While I'm playing objective journalist to your conservative, small government talking head, here's another question -- what do you think would be different in terms of public response if the Obama/Biden ticket were switched and the man with experience were the front runner on the ticket?

As always, just looking for your opinion :-)