Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sitting at the DMV

I purchased a new car for my wife for her birthday. I mention that because it necessitated a trip to the DMV. I brought my little Full House with me. (Clarification: New for us, not "'09 new").

For some reason, though the DMV knows that it will always be full on Saturday(especially when it is closed the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday before), it only has about 45 seats in the building.

Taking a look at the wide variety of patrons to the DMV, how does anyone who is young and able-bodied sit in one of those chairs? I looked around and I saw numerous seasoned drivers, pregnant women, people with small children, people on crutches, and others who might warrant the privilege of a seat. Yet who is sitting in all of these places? Sixteen-year-olds getting their licenses. Strapping young men and women waiting their turn. I was holding a two year old boy and when a seat opened up I didn't feel right taking it because there were others more deserving than I who should have taken it. Who took it? A twenty something who moved quickest to sit down, even though there was an older couple eyeing the seat.

My trip to the DMV just goes to show the depths to which our society has fallen and the culture of utter selfishness in which we now live.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Preach it! It's only gonna get worse. Would it be different if the majority of Americans used public transportation rather than their own cars? I ask not because you were at the DMV but because from my time in Europe, people were generally more mindful of who needed to sit. Culturally, it was expected of young people to get out of the elderly's way. You probably remember that from visiting us!!

MommaSqwirl said...

I thought that I had commented on this already, but I must not have saved it probably. Silly me. It was such a good comment too!
It is very sad that people do not have even basic manners anymore. You are not going to see the people you cannot be bothered to say "Please" and "Thank You" to give up thier seat to one who is more deserving. What is more sad is that parents raise them that way.