Monday, December 19, 2005

The true meaning of Christmas: stuff!

Ok, some people have been protesting Walmart because a search for the term "Christmas" on their site brought customers to a page titled "Holiday." However, a search for any other winter holiday (IA Hanukkah or Kwanzaa) you are brought to a page that is titled with those holidays.

When a customer emailed to complain about this, she received the following email:

"Walmart is a world wide organization and must remain conscious of this. The majority of the world still has different practices other than "Christmas" which is an ancient tradition that has its roots in Siberian shamanism. The colors associated with "Christmas" red and white are actually a representation of of the aminita mascera mushroom. Santa is also borrowed from the Caucuses, mistletoe from the Celts, yule log from the Goths, the time from the Visigoth and the tree from the worship of Baal. It is a wide wide world."


Walmart claimed that this was an unauthorized email from a temporary employee and labeled it as inappropriate.

All of this is neither here nor there. I don't really care about the above, I'm writing about the reaction:

"About 50 protesters took part in Saturday's demonstration, organized by religious leaders. Dick Otterstad of the Church of the Divide donned a Santa Claus costume and greeted shoppers with the message: Don't forget about the meaning of Christmas."

I don't really think I have to say anything more about this! Maybe I do side with Wilcox when it comes to using situations like this to simply find another way to be different than the culture that surrounds me. "So don't blame me for what these nitwits say (or do!) Hey, they don't speak for me!"

Their opinion is not just my opinion!

No comments: