Monday, February 20, 2006

More minor rants

It seems that there isn't anything recently that so strongly captures my attention that it warrants an entire post. So here are three brief insights that I'd like to share.

"Investigative Reporting" I've always thought that reporting was informing others of things that have transpired. Covering a story that has already occurred. Isn't investigative reporting similar to a newsperson creating a story just so they can cover it? Seems a bit unethical to me.

"The DaVinci Code" I'm not even going to discuss this like most people might think I would. Recently, an Albino group has spoken out against this movie saying they are tired of being characterized as the bad guys. They feel that too often when there is an albino character, he or she is always the villain. Um... sure... I can't tell you how many movies I've watched and seen the albino character come on the screen and think "Oh, there's the murderer. No doubt." (Let's list the albinos that we can think of: The guy in the pit of despair in "The Princess Bride," the two hitmen in "Matrix Reloaded," and this guy in "The DaVinci Code." Three movies in 20 years? A clear case of stereotyping!) This albino group (which represents around 200,000 Americans) argues that there should be more albinos in films as the next door neighbor, or the love interest. Yeah, let's do that...

"Mr. Heterosexual." A group supporting gay rights recently protested a pageant called "Mr. Heterosexual" claiming that it was hateful. Wait a minute, "Mr. Heterosexual" was in response to a pageant held out in San Francisco called "Mr. Homosexual." Is that one hateful? Can heterosexuals protest that pageant? Can special interest groups have their cake and eat it too without anyone calling them on it? It's the same thing with race issues. Would anyone stand for a "Mr. White Boston?" Would a "Mr. Black Boston" fly? I hope that the homosexuals protesting "Mr. Heterosexual" will also be protesting "Mr. Homosexual" as just as hateful.

And that's just my opinion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm with you all the way on all three issues. Just a note about the albino business....have you read the book? I hate to ruin anything if you haven't yet, but the albino in the book is very clearly taken advantage of. It is quite specific that the things he does are because he is an emotionally damaged person and he is ordered to do so by the person that represents his "guardian" figure. How does this make him the villain? He is just another pawn in a madman's game.

Marc said...

I haven't read it. I just thought it was funny that the albinos are upset... I feel like I never see albinos in film, especially as some sort of bad person...

Anonymous said...

http://www.weeklydig.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/article.view/issueID/085cbcac-e63c-488f-a29d-7e11c2524177/articleID/9bcab75c-874e-489c-bc1d-940e3b8c8b85/nodeID/4b1339d1-be3a-44a2-be8b-1484963a003a

Thought you might get a kick out of this Dig article on the Mr. Hetero contest.