Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Pressing my luck: Another immigration post

Yesterday, I was highly irked when I heard the following "newscast" on the radio: "Many illegal immigrants will be protesting today by not going to work and not purchasing anything. They are doing this to raise awareness of their plight." Thier plight. Plight! I feel so bad for them that they are here where they are making more money than they would have in their country, not paying taxes on it, using our social services, and yet protesting against the nation that gave it all to them. If it is so bad here, I have an idea, go home.

Many illegal immigrants have said that all they want is a chance to experience and live out the American Dream. Well, it appears that they are on their way to that goal as many already have the American mindset. One protester yesterday was quoted as saying, "We are entitled to everything every American citizen is!" You read that correctly: "entitled."

We wonder why other nations don't like us? Our pompous selfishness is so great that it is spreading to people who weren't even born here! Even American citizens aren't "entitled" to everything that we think we are! However, I think I agree with the protester: You are entitled to what every American citizen is entitled to if they broke the law, too; the consequences.

My current solution to the "illegal issue" is not to go after the illegals themselves, but rather the traitors that hire them. If we crack down on the hiring of illegals, then they would have no income and they would have to head back home on their own.

There's been a bit of secondary conflict regarding this divisive discussion that involves the National Anthem. Should it be sung in Spanish or English? Can anyone guess what Senator Kennedy's answer was to this? He said, "I think that the National Anthem should be sung in English." I think I agree. The one time that I was honored to hear the National Anthem sung in a different tongue while on US soil was when a group of Native Americans sang it in their language. That was an undeserved honor.

A retired US General, and current legal immigrant Alberto Rodriguez shared his opinion regarding these protests. He shared that he was offended as one who had struggled to go through the proper venues to enter this nation. He said to the protesters, "You do not speak for me." Good for him!

I was very pleased to see a large group of marchers carrying a gigantic American flag. That is the way to gain my favor. Not by writing on it, carrying it upside down, or waving the flag of you home nation. If you respect your flag so much, perhaps it would be wise of you to return to where it is continuously flown.

On an ironic note: I find it interesting that so many people are so eager to get into this nation that they are willing to have their first action here be a crime. While I, and my family, are awaiting the time that we will be leaving it, for the sake of the Gospel and the sake of our children. We would rather our children not grow up in the egocentric, ethnocentric, consumerist culture of the USA. I am very thankful that I was born here with the advantages that are inherent with that. And I intend to use those advantages. Not simply to the benefit of myself and my family, but to attempt to further the Kingdom.

Afterall, this is all just my opinion.

No comments: