Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Fatherhood

Alright, alright, the masses have spoken. I'll do my best to reflect upon this new hat I'm wearing that says "Daddy."

Ok, if it isn't the heart of honesty it isn't worth posting. The first thought I have when I ponder fatherhood is that I feel like I'm trailblazing. (How's that for you Jenna? Remember that continuous discussion?) As many of my regular readers are aware, I didn't have the best example of how to be a father from my father. Some would say I didn't really have a father, just a much older brother. The fact that he was mostly out of the house since I was four simply adds to this feeling: I'm the first "daddy" in my family.

And as the first "daddy" I've already received my first Father's Day present (from Vanessa before Isaac was born (in fact, I think it was before he had a name)) and it is his first baseball glove. I'm very excited to be able to spend time with my son! Exposing him to all the different sports that I know and finding out which ones he likes (he has no choice regarding Ultimate Frisbee. He's going to like that one.)

I tend to see kids differently now. Every child I see is a possibility of what Isaac might become. So as I'm exiting the mall and I see the losers who have nothing better to do but smoke and loiter I ponder how they got to that point and what can I do to keep Isaac from it. I watch the LLWS and see parents who are clearly living vicariously through their kids and pray that I never do that. I look at some of the mistakes my folks made and hope I do better. There is a lot to think about as a dad. I want to discover who Isaac is and then encourage him in those areas while at the same time shaping him to be a man of God. I foresee it as being a very delicate balance.

I've heard many people say that their favorite time is when their children were newborns. Advising us that they are so cute at this time and we should cherish it. Yeah. I guess that's true. But the flip side of that is it's so hard to interact with a being that just eats, poops, sleeps, and burps. Recently, he's begun smiling and laughing. This is a major step forward and has been the highlight of my days. When my son wakes up and sees that I'm home from work and flashes he cute little smile and utters his backwards laugh (he inhales as he laughs, instead of exhaling) I'm borderline speechless.

While I'm unable to feed Isaac without some planning ahead, I have found something I'm quite good at. Getting him to sleep. I think my record is two point eight minutes. The only problem is that he's so comfortable in my arms that he nearly always wakes up when I try to put him in his bed. Would anyone like to know the song I sing to my son that calms him the most? I've tried many. Here's the winner.

Another word of advice I've oft heard is that my life will never be the same. The problem is that it is nearly always said as a negative. "Oh? You're having a baby? Well, your life will never be the same. It's over!" Instead of what I've found to be the truth: "My life will never be the same." It's beginning anew; just as it did when I wed my love.

I've been all over the world and seen a lot of amazing sights; a little boy who's been experiencing this world for just over two months who is the living example of the love that my wife and I share may just be on the top of that list.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post, man. I'm with you on so many levels. I've been thinking about posting my thoughts on fatherhood at some point, and hopefully this will spur me to actually get to it. :-) That is, when I'm not busy actually *doing* fatherhood. :-)

Anonymous said...

Perfect :-)

Apu said...

This is easily your best post ever.
Thank you.

Dawn said...

Isn't it the greatest!! Lately our Lucy Goose has been laughing out loud at our dog, who merely lays on the floor and sleeps.

james said...

Good post friend. And congrats to that. I think you'll make a fine daddy. Well...sounds like you already are at any rate.

Anonymous said...

Marc,

Look - everyone LOVED your post. I think you're going to have to make your fatherhood posts a serial thing. :)

Well, this is certainly a VERY differnt kind of trailblazing,
(fortunately!!! I'd worry, otherwise :P And remember - you can never EVER get out of the car now.) but I think you're going to do great at it. I anticipate that Issac is going to be a red sox fan from a very early age.

so, a couple of questions...what has been the most surprising thing about being a father? The hardest? I wish you had a digital camera so you could post some pictures for us...

maybe it is too soon to ask, but how many more do you think you'll have? :)

Thanks!!! It really was great.

james said...

well...not to be the turd in the punchbowl...but i think your personal intuition on not posting as many "fatherhood" posts is probably a good one. Not that you couldn't make them good or anything.

Your post here was really good because I believe it holds an honesty to it. It is something new that has come upon you, and that is refreshing for all of us to see. Now if you were suddenly posting mostly on being a dad or random pictures of Issac, that might change things entirely. You have a lot to say, and suddenly switching like this could change the swing of your blog entirely.

I've seen tons of blogs that are mainly pictures of "me and my kids" and these are as boring and repititive as listening to President Bush try and invigorate the nation with an inspirational speech.

*Here's a pic of little Tommy with his shoe untied*

*Daddy and tommy tying their shoes like big boys*

*little tommy after he barfed in his high chair*

Sorry if my vote for fewer fatherhood type posts makes me sound like an ass. I guess i'm just saying...don't end up being a blog that posts only pics of you and Issac, thus discontinuing your trend of posting the things you normally enjoy writing about (even if i don't always agree with what you have to say). That kind of thing. You have a beautiful family and the ability to boast of them in much brighter terms than this.

much love man.

Anonymous said...

Even as a girl, and even as a huge fan of little Isaac, I have to agree with James on this one.

You are who you are, Marc, and those of us who read your blog appreciate you for that. Being long-distance now, I particularly appreciate reading what's on your mind, your spin on the latest thing to catch the public's attention, the latest soap box you've developed on some issue... it sort of spans the miles to read your thoughts as if hearing you rant about the latest thing over dinner or in my living room.

So, while I loved hearing your thoughts on Isaac and fatherhood, I love reading your blog to see what's going on in your head about stuff. If the stuff in your head happens to be musings or wittisms about fatherhood and the joys of puke and poop, than go for it, but if that's not your latest rant, don't push it.

I don't really want to see this blog become all about how cute Isaac looked in his Sunday best. No matter how much I would love to have seen him!

Maybe every once in a while you could just close out a rant with a little "ISAAC UPDATE" and give us the latest tidbit on development or something -- You know "P.S. Isaac rolled over." or "P.S. He's crawling" or "P.S. We're eating solid food now." Just because, inquiring minds want to know :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, he writes one post about fatherhood, and everybody's worried about him ruining the integrity of his blog? Where did that come from? As for myself, I'd be interested to see more general musings on fatherhood on this blog. It's something I can identify with, seeing as I'm not interested in sports or politics... but of course I would expect Marc to maintain balance between those topics and the topics that interest other people.

And of course, don't forget that Marc already said he wasn't going to be posting photos of Isaac on this website. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Peter, for bringing things back to reality! How could anyone think that Marc would ever get side tracked from his main objective of talking about things like politics and the Red Sox??? I am just hoping for the occasional posting, as Lynn-nore says, to mark momentous occasions. I was not aware that Marc wouldn't be posting pics of the babe, but the occasional pic wouldn't be so terrible. Yes, the "this is my precious baby looking at me" pics are a little over done, but I'd love to see one every now and then. Does he look like you, Marc? or Vanessa? you know, that kind of thing!!

Thanks for the post...

james said...

Just to clarify, my comment was directed neither at the content of Marc's post, nor the ingegrity of acesoneights.blogspot.com. As I've stated in my initial comment, Marc has drafted a wonderful post and it is my hope that he continues to provide us with Marc-like posts in the future. As some suggestions were offered to Marc regarding potential future content on "Just My Opinion," I only figured it would be a fair protocol to offer him some of my own in addition to those previously suggested.

peace,

james

Anonymous said...

Marc, you post what you want, when you want to... with or without baby posts or pics! :P Sorry, though, anything about the Red Sox will not be read by me. And why does that Star Wars song sound so familiar? Why do I feel like you used to sing it at Gordon? And more importantly, do you know all the words?!? If so, I'm "wicked" impressed. Hmm, and "Trailblazer" sounds familiar...wasn't that your "name" on Peace at Gordon? Although, clearly it must have a deeper meaning that I'm missing!

Seriously, though, this post was great. I'm one of those "your life will never be the same" people... but when I say it, I mean it in the absolute *best* way possible. My life hasn't just changed with the births of my children; it's been transformed. And it's being transformed every single day.

It is humbling and beautiful to be involved in the creation of another eternal soul created in God's image, and to carry that soul until he or she is ready to enter the world. As a Mother, the process of birthing is the most empowering thing I've ever experienced. And having the honor of raising a child to grow up to become a Godly man or woman is humbling beyond words.

I'm so happy for you and Vanessa. Thanks for opening your heart and sharing the honest words of your journey so far. Grace & Peace, my friend. ~Suzi

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm a little late but you had to know it was coming. Some of these folks seem to be confused. It appears that they think that "just their opinion" on the topics of your postings will actually be adhered to. Hah! I imagine that from the beginning of this post until now, you had/have every intention to continue blogging whatever you want, no matter what anybody thinks. Thanks, very enjoyable to me!

Dawn said...

I post pictures of my family all the time and it is not a boring blog at all. So there!
ha ha ha ha :)
This was funny to read.