Saturday, May 26, 2007

Buffet Post

I should simply begin all of my posts with "are you seated? Because we're in for a loooooong ride!" So let's start the engines. (Here's the break down: Sports first (as always), Movies, TV, Politics, closing with Potent Potables (Kudos for you if you get that joke). Actually, it's more of a Wild Card closing)

How about dem Sox?! 10.5 as of May 26th! I'm loving it!

Bret Favre is very upset that the Packers did not do everything in their power to get Randy Moss into Green Bay. So upset, in fact, that he's demanded a trade. No really. A trade! As though, somehow, Randy Moss would alleviate Favre's need for a walker! The man who should have retired two seasons ago demanded a trade. I'm sure that the front office is terrified that some team that needs an aging QB on the decline will offer them something more than that net that catches the field goals and extra points. Of course, he couldn't threaten to retire. The Packers might start firing people just to make him follow through!

Jason Giambi has finally admitted that he took steroids. Of course, delutional people will still try to claim that he didn't say the words "I took steroids." However, I'm not sure what "Everyone was taking them, so was I." Could be referring to if not the juice. Why is he still playing? Your guess is better than mine.

I finally say The Da Vinci Code. I liked it better the first time when it was called National Treasure. The only difference between these two movies is that in NT, they actually had to go places to figure out the clues. They both get to the destination only to learn that the "treasure" (if you will) is not there. Then (Surprise, surprise) it's one step further. In DVC the hairdressing mistake that was Tom Hanks along with Amalie only had to go to three different paintings in the Louvre, then to a bank... and that was basically it. Everything else could have been figured out right there if there weren't a crazed albino monk trying to kill them. There was one potential moment for redemption with DVC. At the end Hanks says, "There's been so much debate over whether [Jesus] was human or divine." I thought, perhaps? Maybe? Could he really be about to say "Why couldn't He be both?" No, no. He says, "Maybe human is divine." So blatantly New Age I wanted to vomit.

I'm already hooked on On the Lot. Part of me is afraid to watch thinking it will expose me as a fraud of a filmmaker. Another part can't tear my eyes from it in the hopes that I might consider myself an equal with the contestants. More to follow in future posts.

In Iraq, Al-Qaeda has claimed responsibility for the disappearance of the four missing soldiers. They must be lying! I have been told over and over by the media and countless politicians that Al-Qaeda is not in Iraq! So the real mystery is who really has the soldiers and why would Al-Qaeda lie about their activities? I look forward to Al Gore's answer.

Speaking of Al Gore (Hmmm Al Gore, Al-Qaeda???): He was on The Late Show with David Letterman and said that Iraq was "The worst strategic mistake in the history of the United States." What did David do? He sat back and let him rail on. He did not challenge him. He did not assert that absolute statements like that make the speaker sound asinine. He simply listened like a puppy being taught to fetch the paper. Al also said thank you to the soldiers. For what? For being part of "the worst strategic mistake in the history of the United States?" Funny, I would have thought that Bay of Pigs might have ranked up there. Maybe the Isolationism during the destruction of the Jews. How about the strategy of "separate but equal?" Or, wait, those were Democratic ideas. How foolish of me, those don't count! He went on to discuss how this administration takes the facts and tries to squeeze them into their "Preconceived notions." Is anyone else double over with laughter at the double standard? What exactly are global warming "Scientists" doing? Are they not taking the facts and squeezing them into their own preconceived notions? Anyway, Gore remains irrelevant until he announces that he's running again.

I'm so sick of the Gardasil advertisements. There is a completely veiled agenda hidden in their "get vaccinated" message. Gardasil prevents only one type of cervical cancer. The one that is a sexually transmitted disease! That's it! Politicians in my two states (MA, CT) are calling for all high school females to receive this shot! (Some are requesting that the age be lowered to Junior High.) Why?! We can't teach abstinence, but let's make sure we vaccinate the girls against the STD! And just to be safe we'll give them some condom's too. We don't want our kids to smoke, so you have to be 18 to buy them. Guess what? Kids do it anyway. Let's just hand out the packs in "health" class. We don't want them to drink so you have to be 21. Guess what? Their gonna do it anyway. Maybe Math class is a good place to hand out the twelve packs. How does this make any sense to any logical adult? We attempt to deny teens access to all of the things we don't want them to do, save sex. Please, please, someone explain this to me.

And speaking of teens: There's a town in Connecticut that is requiring students to take a breathalyzer test before they are allowed to enter their prom. If they fail, their parents are called to take them home. What are the students saying? They are outraged! It's not over any feelings that the school doesn't trust them. They feel like it is their night to "have fun" and the school is attempting to take that from them. Pardon? You are 18 (if that!) You have no business having alcohol period! Let alone at (or before) a school sponsored event! And you still have the nerve to be upset?! Is anyone else concerned about the future of this nation?

And speaking of the future of this nation: Our little Full House is almost a year old. He's beinging to sign and he understands much of what we say! He walks when we hold his hands. Take it from me: Parenthood is cooler and more fun than I ever dreamed it would be!

So... there you have it. My musings for the past few weeks. I've said a lot, but all in all, it's all just my opinion.

7 comments:

mindful mama said...

Here are my 2 (10) cents.

Parenthood IS "cool." It's wonderful to watch your own child grow from a tiny baby to a toddler. There's nothing like it when they take their first steps...or say their first words...or run up to you and give you a great big hug...or say "I love you Mommy" or "I love you Daddy"...

Even when I collapse at the end of the day or am awakened several times at night to feed or change one or both children, it's priceless. I miss those newborn baby days, but every stage is fun and exciting just like the one before. They grow so fast. Gosh, you blink and before you know it you are unbelievably trying to remember all the little things they did when they were a tiny baby and wondering where did the time go?

Anonymous said...

Hey Marc. I love reading your blog, all except the sports, I really could care less. Yes parenthood is great. I have 2 girls of my own. I just wanted to say hi and see if you could name this mysterious person from your past. If we weren't both married I bet I'd still be following you around. :-) I think I still have your pooh bear, you want it back? Hope you can figure it out, I'd love to catch up.

Anonymous said...

Marc,

The Da Vinci Code movie totally sucked. The book was ok, but the prequel, Angels and Demons, was sooooo much better!

You are WRONG about Gardasil. Last time I went for an, ahem, exam, my doctor suggested it. I explained that it wasn't necessary, I've been living with someone for 5 years that I plan to marry if we can every afford a wedding. She gave me a pamphlet and explained that HPV can be spread simply by sharing a toilet or bath towel. After reading the pamphlet, I found that it protects against 7 (seven!) different kinds of cervical cancer.

Do your homework better next time! I've had two of the shots and go back for my last in August...and still have no intention of contracting an STD.

Marc said...

Anonymous... I think the best way to guess, rather than embarass myself by simply tossing names out. I'd like to mention something that I believe only you and I would know about. Let's try this: I believe that our parents had an unfortunate stint where they were dating. Am I correct?

Anonymous said...

Marc, it is too funny that you mentioned that..because although I am not her...I know her, and her parent had a very unfortunate stint dating my parent. He turned out to be a psycho stalker with one particular restraining order. I wonder if he ever finished his house. I'm sure you know who I am now. But if not here's one more clue..you took me to see my first and last Star Wars movie...a crying shame, I know.

Marc said...

Ok, the only other person I know who dated this person's parent (And I've heard all about the restraining order...) currently does not live in CT. Married someone she met online and dated a boy named Shanon. Now am I correct?

Melissa said...

Yeah you got it. :-) You heard all about it?! Boy I would love to be a fly on the wall in that conversation. Although I have heard enough from my parental unit to last a lifetime. And I still don't live in CT...Thank God! Life is just a little slower out here in the Great Lakes.
Oh and you had to throw that Shannon thing in there didn't ya!
I know you are a busy guy so when you get a chance email me at my dummy account jandmpettit@hotmail.com and I'll give you my real email address. I'd love to see a pic of your lil one sometime.