Monday, December 31, 2007

Let the NFL Playoffs begin!

As you may have noticed, I did not do a week 16 power ranking. This is because when so much of the playoffs are set teams rest their players and often lose games they wouldn't normally lose. As I grade my power rankings based on the results of the games the next week it would have been impossible to grade a week 16 power ranking. I hope you understand.

However, now that the NFL regular season is over, I've taken a look at my NFL preview post and here are the results of how I did:

Here are the standings for each division. Those teams in bold are the ones that I had selected before the season began:

NFC
Division Winners
Dallas Cowboys (Bye)
Green Bay Packers (Bye)
Seattle Seahawks
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Wild Card Teams
New York Giants
Washington Redskins

AFC
Division Winners
New England Patriots (Bye)
Indianapolis Colts (Bye)
San Diego Chargers
Pittsburgh Steelers
Wild Card Teams
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans

If I award one point for each division winner, one point for correctly awarding the bye week, one point for each wild card team, and one point for correct division to provide a wild card team then there would be 20 possible points. I would have earned 8 points. That's 40%. Not too terrible.

here's how I stand in regards to my original playoff predictions: Both of my Super Bowl teams are still alive. Three of my four Conference teams still have a chance. Five of my eight Division teams are in the playoffs. But I only have two of the Wild Card Weekend teams in the playoffs. If I award 5 points for a Super Bowl team, 3 points for a conference championship team, 2 points for a division team and 1 point for a wild card weekend team, there would be 46 possible points. I'd have 31. That's 67%. Much better!

So, with the Wild Card weekend teams set, here's how I see the playoffs playing out:

NFC

Wild Card Weekend
NYG @ TB winner TB
WASH @ SEA winner WASH

Division
WASH @ DAL winner DAL
TB @ GB winner GB

Conference
GB @ DAL winner DAL

AFC

Wild Card Weekend
JAX @ PITT winner JAX
TN @ SD winner SD

Division
JAX @ NE winner NE
SD @ INDY winner SD

Conference
SD @ NE winner NE

Super Bowl

DAL vs NE

winner
NE

And here is a brief power ranking for the 12 teams in the playoffs:

New England
    Until they are defeated, they stay #1.
Dallas
    Their loss to Washington won't happen again. This year, the 'Boys have proven they know how to win!
San Diego
    What a winning streak! You look like the SD of old. Where were you for the first 10 games of the season?
Indianapolis
    Their second string almost defeated the Titans. This team just won't go away.
Jacksonville
    When asked what team they fear the most, Jacksonville received the second most votes. They'd be good enough to be a division winner if they played in the North or West!
Green Bay
    That loss to Chicago looked BAD! It was a cold weather game ~ Your speciality. How do you expect to win in Dallas?
Pittsburgh
    You've limped into the playoffs going 2-3 for your last 5. Unlucky draw getting Jacksonville first.
Tampa Bay
    I'd rather see Minnesota in the playoffs than you. You're lucky that you drew the Playoff inept Giants in the first round.
New York Giants
    Your performance against the Pats was impressive! Can you carry that momentum into the post season? I just don't see Eli playing to flawless games in a row, sorry.
Washington
    Another team that doesn't belong here. Yeah you won four in a row to make it, but it's also because the Vikings couldn't close it out. Very lucky that you drew Seattle, they're the only NFC team you can beat.
Seattle
    It's one thing when Brady and Co. decide not to run the ball, it's another thing entirely when it's Hasselbeck Inc. Try playing in another division and you aren't even a wild card team.
Tennessee
    Yet another team that shouldn't be here. It's unfortunate that Cleveland choked against Cinci. You could barely beat the Colt's B-team. It doesn't matter who you play, you are one and done.


The rankings will continue until the Super Bowl!

No comments: