Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Welcome President Obama

It is my pleasure to welcome to office the 44th President, my President, Barack Obama.

As I watched the motorcade move toward the capital building I felt a sense of pride. As I reflected on it, I found that my pride was multifaceted:

Pride in my country: I take great pride that we have had two hundred twenty three unbroken years of transfer of power without bloodshed. Yes, there are those that have shed blood and others have taken over in power. However, it has never been the person who caused the bloodshed who took power. We've never had a coup. No one had to rise up to remove another from power. No one has ever refused to leave office. The peaceful transfer of power to someone other than a son is a shining example that America has provided for the world; particularly when the leaving leader and the pristine President are as different as the two taking part in this ceremony.

Pride in my country's people: While in my previous post I chuckled at those who "approve" of now President Obama before he has taken office, this is a sharp contrast to the mindset of those in many other countries. It expresses hope. Americans thrive on hope. This is not the case in many other countries. The smiling faces, the expectant gleams in the eyes of those gathered on the green, these displayed the great hope that people have, not only in the man, but in the nation. One can only encourage those people to turn that hope into action. It is that kind of hope that can spur people to do good things as they strive to bring about the kind of change they want to see.

Pride in my President: I often find it hard to post about those things with which I agree. President Obama has conducted himself in a fashion worthy of the Oval Office. Dignity. Humility. Expectation. His speech was captivating, moving, and unifying. As you know, JMO cannot go without finding fault. I wanted a moment. I wanted that pivotal moment. That "Ask not..." or "A day that will live in infamy..." or "". I was not given such a memorable moment. I did enjoy the final line, however: "Let it be said by our children’s children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God’s grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations."

I am excited. I've not reached the height of Obamamania that many have, but I am not ashamed nor afraid to admit that I have an expectant excitement about this man's Presidency. If he can be as inspiring to the Houses of Congress as he has been to the people of this country, we may be able to do great things. I even appreciate the fact that he "called an audible" and walked for more of the parade route than was originally planned. The President is the ultimate public servant. I think Barack Obama understands that.

I've seen his picture with the seal of the highest office behind him and, for a moment, I imagined the face of some of the other political figures whom I opposed who could have held that office. I had an internal undeniable visceral reaction to the thought of President Gore or President Kerry or even President Dukakis. I do not have the same emotional response to President Obama.

The monotonous chanting of "Obama" is a little unsettling. Let's let the man do something before we begin singing his praises. He has promised many things. He believes he can deliver. I look forward to what he brings to the Oval Office. There are those that have said, "regardless of your party persuasion, we need this man to succeed." While that may be true, I also want President Obama to succeed. I want him to serve a second term. I can't say those sentiments won't change. But it's how I feel today.

Welcome President Obama.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you're not completely insane :-) If you hand't been moved by the inauguration itself I was going to have to worry about you!

By the way, my own personal favorite quote from the address happened to be the same one featured as the headline for today's paper down here --

"We have chosen hope over fear."

Given that Thom and I are exactly the demographic he's describing -- those suddenly in the job hunt due to the wacky economy -- hope over fear is exactly the perspective we're holding. For us personally, it is ultimately hope in God's providance and provision, but in terms of what methods God might use to help our nation,I would say that we are more hopeful with Obama as president than we were with the last few years of the Bush administration and more hopeful than we would have been with the McCain/Palin ticket.

on a side note --- wish we could see you guys sometime this year --- it would be more fun to have this conversation in person!

Anonymous said...

WELL SAID. I heartily agree with everything!

What continues to floor me is that this President not only inspires hope in our own country, but in the rest of the world! You should see the pandemonium in Kenya that has been going on for several years, ever since he became our Illinois State Senator! Kenyans claim him as their son because one's tribal lineage is traced through their father. And nearly everything you can think of over there is named after him: roads, schools, buildings, a large percentage of newborn babies, and so on. The stories of what people are doing over there in spite of their post-election violence is inspiring--and in every positive story of change I've heard, they talked about how Obama has given them hope to keep going and make things better, no matter who you are...even if you live in one of the largest slums in Africa in abject poverty. Hearing that inspires me!

His connection to other continents in the world through his ethnic and family background and where he has lived throughout his life seems to resonate not only with Americans, but with the rest of the global family. I think that is unprecedented and what is REALLY unique about having him as President, not the whole "first African-American President" thing.

I admit I was looking for a moment in his speech too, but then I was struck by that same powerful last line that you mentioned. It immediately made me want to be a better person, a better wife, and a better mother.

I was shocked that he walked so much of the parade route, what with all the unprecedented security and the clear threats on his life that have occurred since he decided to even run for President 2 years ago. I admit I kind of held my breath and got nervous both times he got out of the limo. I was very relieved when he got back in, and then subsequently felt sad when I thought it would be the last time he'll be able to walk outside on the street for several years. Can you imagine going into the bubble of the White House? God bless him for going in willingly as a public servant and for the American people!

I have been one of the ones who chanted "Obama" at Grant Park in Chicago on Election Night. He has been a Senator who has electrified so many and unified so many in the city of Chicago and throughout this State for many many years, particularly in the last several years. Everyone I've ever talked to has nothing but respect for him. He hasn't "done nothing" yet. He has lived a life of public service...it just hasn't been from behind the desk in the Oval Office. So we all start with the cautious optimism and "expectant excitement" that we owe him as our President. Here's to hope over fear in the challenging years to come! :)