Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Holiday Compromise

Every year I have something to say about either the "Holiday Tree" controversy or the "Nativity in a Public Place" issue. This year is no different, but rather than my usual response: "Why is it ok for you to force your views on me by demanding that I can't have a tree with lights unless I call it a "Holiday Tree" but I can't force my views on you by making you refer to it as a "Christmas Tree?" This year I actually have a solution:

You are free to call it a holiday tree. You are free to be offended if your town puts a nativity in the public square. You are free to require people to wish you "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas." Here is the compromise that I require of you:

You will not have December 25th off and while you are working you will not be earning double time.

Clearly the day has no meaning for you. I don't take Rosh Hashanah off. I'm working on the Summer Solstice. I don't sleep late on Eid Al-Fitr. I don't stay up till midnight on January 25th. You don't get my religious holiday off. Now, if it's your argument that exchanging gifts with loved ones on the 25th day of the 12th month is cultural and that's why you should get the day off, then that would be called "Christmas."

So, the choice is yours: Sit behind your desk in an empty office the week before New Years or take your kids around looking at Christmas lights, save money while buying things during Christmas (and after Christmas) sales, and give the Baby Jesus a high five in his manger for being born so we can have an excuse to see people we don't often see, get an extra day off of work, and spend enough money to keep our economy in the black.

A very Merry Christmas to everyone!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!

I have never heard of anyone calling a Christmas tree a Holiday tree, even from people who don't celebrate Christmas but still have a Christmas tree.

Oh well, who cares...we have never had a Christmas tree and never will either. Bah humbug. :)

Troy said...

I wholeheartedly support this rant. All of the hypocritical PC nonsense that goes on during Christmastime makes my skin crawl. Jesus is the reason for the season, take that to the bank!

Anonymous said...

I agree to the point that anybody who is gumpy enough to complain about the wording of anyone else's merry holiday wishes should then lose their merry holiday privledges as they are certainly not suited for the season. I do not agree that anyone should tell anyone else what to say. I don't tell you to call it a holiday tree and you don't tell me to call it a christmas tree- and if we happen to converse near the tree one day let us each call it what we will. It is a tree and a nice tree at that, held precious by old Germans because it maintained it color through the dark and dismal season.

All the major regions and religions have a similiar celebration at this time anyway, and as we know, yes, Christmas was sort of set up to coincide with the already pagan celebration of the winter solstice, so who cares? It is cold and dark now, and it will only get better. YAY! Jewish people a long time ago had oil for their lights- because its was dark out. YAY!Christians had their savior born- a baby will light up anybody's days. YAY!

Just don't get all uptight about the wording- and certainly don't tell anyone else how to celebrate. It is already dark and gloomy outside nobody needs to deal with dark and gloomy people. Bill O'Reilly was very big on getting everyone to carry his "We say Merry Christmas" bumper sticker. I don't care what you say- Wish me a Happy Haunakah or a Jolly Solstice or a Merry Christmas, wish me a grateful and reflective something or another for those religious folks who don't like to celebrate holidays- I will do my best to consider the meaning behind all those well wishes and I will wish you well in return.

Just please do not tell me I should celebrate "Holidays" or "christmas" or or or. I hope I have made the distinction clear.

Marc said...

MissMotxo

I can agree with that. We are chatting away about this lovely tree next to us:

MMX: Hi JMO, what a lovely holiday tree
JMO: I agree MMX, this Tannenbaum is beautiful.
MMX: Someone has spent a lot of time putting St. Nicholas decorations on this Douglas Fir
JMO: I particularly like the Father Christmas near the top of this Christmas tree.
MMX: Yes, that Santa is just what this Arbre de Noel needed!
JMO: Weihnachtsgrüße!
MMX: Krimasi njema!

Anonymous said...

Glad someone finally said it!

Anonymous said...

Fröhliche Weihnachten! Kuwa na Krismasi njema! :)
Nice attempt at Deutsch & Swahili!
Ausgezeichnet! Mzuri sana!!!