Friday, November 20, 2009

Boo! Facebook!

I once had an average of 30 people a day visiting my blog.

I once had posts with 15+ comments.

I once had friends who would post interesting, intelligent, thought provoking things. Funny, poignant, and occasionally some mundane things. I had friends who would post.

Then came "Facebook"

My friends stopped posting on Blogspot. My comments dwindled. My hits suffered.

Why?

Because once we have a taste of convenience we can't go back. One can go on their own Facebook page and see the comments, status', and thoughts of all of their friends.

People began "posting" through their Twitters and Facebook status. So few people now take the time to formulate a cohesive argument, put it in logical order, type it out in a cognitive fashion, and post it for others to read. Instead of theological treatises, we get sound bytes. Instead of well founded political discussions we get "Yes we can" or "The postal service lost 3.8 Billion dollars this year. I have an idea: Let's put the federal government in charge of healthcare."

What did I do? I caved. I set up my Facebook to read my Blogspot and automatically post it in Facebook. So people read my posts but I once put a lot of effort into my Blogspot. I had an ever changing sidebar. I had bi-monthly opinion polls, links to my friends' blogs, A "This Day in History" segment, I'd update funny or timely quotes, I had a list of every movie I'd watched with a quick rating and a place for people to request that I do a more thorough review. (For those of you reading this on Facebook: To see what I'm referencing, visit my blog here.) Now all of that is missed. Why?

Facebook.

Please. Stop using Facebook. Come back to Blogger. Start posting again. Start commenting again. Let's not let "technology" dictate how we share our thoughts, let's let how we share our thoughts dictate what type of technology booms.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still reading and caring, just not always having the time to respond -- or the brain power I once did... it might be Facebook, but my money is on Kid #2.

Troy said...

I definitely find myself lacking the oomph to comment lately - I'm finding that I'd rather pick up the phone or meet in person to chat about something. However, that doesn't stop me from keeping JMO in my Google Reader list and I check out your posts as soon as I see new ones! I may not agree with it all, but you always manage to write something interesting and relevant!

Dawn said...

I like 'em both (blogging and facebook), and I have missed your movie reviews!

Sarah said...

1) I did not know that you had a Facebook account.
2) Why have you not befriended me? :(
3) I have not seen this on Facebook, but I like all the sidebar stuff that you have. I also find that I check here often and am sad that it is not updated as often.
4) I will always use my Facebook because it gives me such much this cannot. I can see picture and videos from family that it far away.
5) I just dont always have a comment to make or sometimes the time to make it. (Mostly the time to make it, you know how much I like to talk.)
6) Booing on Facebook might not be the best way to get people back here instead of there.

Unknown said...

Marc,

I have to agree with Sarah - booing Facebook and bemoaning that people don't use blogger as much any more is probably *not* the way to win them back to you. It has been a while, I admit, but I generally check in on you once a week or so, and lately there hasn't been anything new from you, so I am less motivated to come back. Pictures always help. :) I like your blog posts.

Here's something for you to think about. What do you think about Nicholas Kristof? He writes columns for the NYTimes on Sunday & Thursday and recently wrote the book "Half the Sky" he has some interesting commentary and perspective. And I have a feeling you might disagree with him on a lot of things (esp his view on health care). Check him out. :)

carrie said...

I just started a website called 'Boo Facebook' just this weekend! I was googling to see if it would pop up yet & i saw your blog. if you, or anyone who reads this blog woud like to join, the address is : http://boofacebook.webs.com

thanks!