Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Don't lie to me

It's Easter time. Time for trees to bud, the rain to begin, and little children to be used to make a very political "non-political" statement.

At the Annual White House Easter Egg Roll there was a concerted effort to populate the event with the children of homosexual couples this year. Several "advocacy groups" encouraged gay couples to make sure they got tickets to this event. Why? Clearly it was to ensure that their children were able to enjoy this wonderful American tradition. In fact, all of the groups and couples that were interviewed said that they weren't trying to make a political statement.

But we all know that's not what happened, don't we. I'm sure the children enjoyed themselves. And I'm hopeful that they didn't know that they were being used as pawns in a massive political demonstration. You see, all of the homosexual couples that attended this event wore big brightly colored leis to announce to everybody that they were gay.

Hmm... "We're not here to make a political statement" yet they want everyone to know that they're "gay, and here to stay!" Some of the comments I heard were "We just want people to know that gay couples with children are just like every other family," "We're not pushing any agenda," and "We're just here for the kids." Well, was "every other family" wearing these leis? If you are saying that homosexual parents should not stick out in our culture, why, then, did you make every effort to ensure exactly that which you do not want?

Look, I have no problem with you going to such family oriented events. Your children shouldn't be punished for your choices. And I expect you to make some sort of political statement because there are many laws and policies that are in limbo that you have strong opinions about. However: Don't lie to us! Don't call us stupid by claiming that you aren't making a political statement and then obviously do so! Just how dumb do you think we are?

Next time you want to say something, just say it! Don't act like you are just trying to "fit in" in your "Hey-look-at-me!" costume. I don't like being lied to.

I'm sure, if you look hard enough, somewhere in this post you'll find something that's just my opinion.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great point! I'm just wondering how exactly people get those invites anyway?! So, how does one position themselves to get an invite to up the "gay-parents-involved" quota? Weird. But, you're right - just be up front about it - "There's an agenda, and we're part of it" should be their slogan.

Meanwhile... I watched a few minutes of the GLAAD awards yesterday on some cable channel and Cherlize Theron was getting an award for her involvement in the gay community. Evidently she and her boyfriend have made some big statement that they will not get married until gays and lesbians have the same rights. I wondered if she'd ever even considered the arguments against gay marriage? And how much does she think we care whether or not she gets married, really? Do we care about Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell and their position on marriage? Did they change the world any?

Marc said...

Well put! I think that people are registered with the "avocacy groups" and they encourage people to go. The Easter Egg Roll is free, first come first serve (can we say "saftey nightmare" for the secret service?!) Some gay couples actually camped out to make sure they got the tickets. But it wasn't political...

I bet it was Charlize's boyfriend's idea. Men are afraid of marriage anyway, right?

Anonymous said...

On the secret service nightmare point - I wonder if there was any racial profiling going on in the "first-come first-serve" Egg Roll. Fortunately, I don't suppose there were too many Muslim American families camping out for the big Easter event. Can you imagine?!

I did a little research on the Charlize statement -- come to find out she had previously stated "I'm happy for people who want to get married but it's not my thing. I'm extremely happy in my relationship and I would love to have kids." Evidently the "we'll get married when they can get married" statement was no big sacrifice on her part and was mostly a way out of the questions about her relationship. Convenient, eh? Yeah and when she was accepting some big award, it was real convenient. Not sure if it was political, but it was certainly convenient!

Meanwhile, if all men were scared of marriage, wouldn't that reduce half the fuss about gay marriages?

Marc said...

I thought I'd heard something like that from her. Thanks for doing the research.

I meant most men who have bought into American "socialization." So that negates gay men right off the bat. And I have to argue that Thom and I clearly are not afraid of marriage (or children) so... it was a generalization to garner a chuckle, not a debate :P

Anonymous said...

Chuckle received, not debate, just a chuckle in return. :P I was just meaning wouldn't that be a handy resolution to the whole gay marriage thing - they wouldn't want it so badly! :P

Yes, you and Thom, definitely stand above the stereotypes. Though I do sometimes revisit your question -- "so, after having one child- why the second one??" This generally comes up on events regarding large quantities of bodily fluids and/or when they gang up on us in tandem.

Ahhh, parenthood! Did I mention how much I'm looking forward to coming up for a visit -- aka - vacation?!

Anonymous said...

Please explain to me how a mother attempting to embaress her teenage daughter, who repeatedly snuck out of the house at night time, by shackling her to her mother's leg in public is being harassed by the police and DSS while same sex partners are allowed to socially and psychologically traumatize their children?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

Ali- is your comment specifically linked to the Easter Egg Hunt? I'm not sure how these kids were being traumatized...I bet they just had a good time getting candy and meeting the President. The fact that their folks were wearing leis is embarassing, but not abusive.

(aside) I think the mom/daughter/chained together scenario is a bunch of bunk. DSS was right to back off in such a timely fashion!

Marc said...

Welcome Rebecca! And congratulations!

I don't know how I missed this DSS thing. Any links or news articles?

(I was highly confused by your post as well, Ali... care to explain?)

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to the "chain" story. It was in the news maybe a month ago.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11072379/

Basically, Mom is sick of her 14year old sneaking out of school and home and she chains herself to the kid to keep her home. DSS jumps in.

Anonymous said...

I think that it is socially traumatic for a child to be raised by a couple of the same sex. I think it's irrational that DSS would become involved with a case where a parent simply found a creative way to discipline her child. However, they don't care that children are traumatized by parents of the same sex. Go figure. (No, it does not tie in to the Easter egg hunt, I didn't realize that I needed to address that specifically)

Anonymous said...

Gotcha. I was just curious. Thanks for clearing it up :)

Marc said...

Welcome back Janitors...

You failed to mention that it's chicks that come out of these bunny-laid eggs. What's that bunny been doin'?

Anonymous said...

Nothing you haven't thought of, I'm sure.