Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Fashion on the move

First, something somewhat encouraging and yet incredably humorous: The fashion industry in Europe is finally moving in the right direction. At a fashion show in Madrid, the city grounded 30% of the models that had participated the year before. The reason they were kept off of the runway is that they were too underweight and did not promote a healthy body image. Milan is going to follow in the footsteps of this landmark decision. This is the encouraging part. The reaction to this action has got me rolling!

New York is livid. Some of the comments have been, "What about the freedom of the designer?" Freedom to do what? Make clothes that only models and hunger strike survivors could wear? Freedom to break out of the constraints of the modeling industry? Wouldn't that mean making clothes that look good on someone who doesn't wear them like a hanger? Or is it freedom to perpetuate an unhealthy body image? Freedom to try and make 98% of people feel poorly about how they look.

(Here's the one that really got me): when asked how she felt about being banned from the event, one model responded, "This is crazy. You can't discriminate against people because they are thin. That's like discriminating against people because they are fat."

No, really. She said that.

"That's like discriminating against people because they are fat." Like your industry has been doing for multiple decades? Yeah. How does it feel? Now instead of "I can't eat that crouton, I might lose my job" it's, "I must eat this ice cream or my BMI will be too low and I won't be able to work!"

Another designer from New York said, "I'm tired of the fashion industry being the scapegoat for eating disorders and other illnesses." Psst, there is a difference between "scapegoat" and "reason." I think you need to look it up. See, a scapegoat doesn't deserve the blame.

I've encountered too many women (and a few men) who have to deal with body image issues daily. I am thrilled that the runway may finally have a women who actually look healthy on it. I can only hope that print media will soon follow.

Second, the news: The rumors are true. Some may have noticed that there have been some whispers that The Queen of Hearts and I are taking our little Full House out of Massachusetts.

This is true. We are moving to central Connecticut at the end of the month. My family has a beautiful single family house with about 1/2 acre of land that we are going to be moving into. Isaac will have a yard. Vanessa will not be cooped up in a stuff apartment. I might have an opportunity to work at a nEarby sportS emPloyer iN the next town over.

We are sad to leave our family, church, friends, theater troupe, coworkers, neighbors, library (they have a great DVD selection), ocean, etc. But we are excited to see what God has in store for us as we feel this is in His plan.

We thank you for your prayers. I will attempt to keep up with this blog but posts may not be as often as they have been in the past.

We are doing what is best for our family. And I sincerely hope that is the truth, and not just my opinion.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Marc,
We are also in the throes of transition and moving to another state... so if you're feeling stress & whatnot, I empathize. Be encouraged that you know where you will next live! We could use your prayers as that particular nugget of info still eludes us here in VA.
Blessings to you & your family. Tell Vanessa hi for me.
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Marc,

Great news that you're moving -- a change is always nice! I bet being in a house will feel very luxurious for you! I know that moving can be stressful & tiring. Somehow it seems more important to have that "last lunch or dinner" with someone than to pack boxes :) Of course, you'll still be within driving distance of all your friends, so it won't be so bad. :) I hope you'll be able to post about how the transition is -- and how the politics are in CT :)

Happy Packing!

Jenna

Anonymous said...

Hey, moving must be in the air. We too are in the moving business...well, maybe. We are seriously deciding whether or not to move to NY. Hubby's job wants him to transfer to NYC in January. We are checking out housing there and weighing their offer. I personally would love to go back to the east coast (ANY coast!) so keep us in your prayers as well. It would be a big move especially with 2 kids under a year & a half. I will keep you guys in prayer as well. Being a homeowner is a great feeling. Enjoy the move back to your home state. How close will you be to where you grew up? Blessings, 2-10
P.S. Did you watch The Biggest Loser last night?

Anonymous said...

Marc,

I was reading an article about Peter Gammons returning to work and it mentioned that ESPN is located in Bristol, CT. Are you really going to be working for them? If so - what will you be doing? Whatever it is I bet it will be very fun!

Blessings as you move,

Jenna

Anonymous said...

Marc,

I'm very happy to hear that you're moving on, congratulations! I hope that this will give you the opportunity to find a more fulfilling profession. Although I admit to being a bit sad to lose my last fellow antagonist, I think that it will be a great move for your family. Perhaps I'll have to start a blog to give you some competition in the controversy department. :-)