Sunday, October 07, 2007

The "S-Chip"

The record truly must be set straight regarding this despicable political situation. President Bush recently vetoed the "S-chip" bill that was designed to provide health care for our nation's children.

SNL tonight on their "Weekend Update" segment spoofed that the President vetoed the bill because "he hates children."

It is hard for me to describe just how mad I am regarding this turn of events. I hope you'll join me in my outrage.

Am I mad that the President killed the "bi-partisan" bill? No. I am mad that the bill passed in the first place and I'm even more livid that it's been labelled as being "for the children."

This bill is nothing less than an attempt to take the first step to a national healthcare system.

I'm crazy, you say? Ask yourself this: If you were designing a bill that was to provide "free" healthcare coverage for the nation's neediest children, what stipulations would you put on it? Age restrictions? Good. Income restrictions? Excellent. Citizenship requirements? Certainly. I'd probably craft a bill for children 18 and under coming from low income families of citizens or legal immigrants living just above or below the poverty line. I think that sounds reasonable to ask the American tax payer to pay for (as nothing the government does is truly free. It's just paid for in your pay check, or, if you don't get a paycheck (or if you don't pay your taxes) your services are paid for by your neighbors.)

What about the bill? According to this bill that is "for the children," a child is anyone age 25 and younger. You didn't read that wrong, and I didn't mistype: 25 Twenty-five! And the income restriction? Couples making $80,000 per year would qualify. (that's correct too, Eighty Thousand Dollars) And citizenship restrictions? None.

So, here is a young, married, illegal couple, making $78,000 per year. They are both 24 years old. They would get free government healthcare! But clearly, this bill is for the children!

If this were to pass, it wouldn't be very difficult to slowly increase the age of eligibility and income limits. Before you know it, we'd have free healthcare for everyone!

Why is this even desired? When was the last time a government "service" actually worked? Social Security? Medicaid? Medicare? How about Welfare? Isn't there a constant discussion on why all of these government programs need to be "revised?" Do we really wanna give the government another essential service to screw up? And think of how happy we are when we have a service where we don't get any competitive choices! Auto Insurance in MA, anyone? Cable? Phone? Electric? Are we all thrilled with our service from these companies? Or do we wish we had some competition that we could choose from?

The politicians who want the government to run healthcare don't hate "big business." They just want the government to be the only "big business." After all, it's the one they are employed by! Imagine how Pepsi would fare if Coca Cola could make laws that they had to abide by!

I'm more than glad the "S-Chip" bill was sent packing. Not sure what it even stands for, but my guess is "Screw Citizens However Indelibly Possible." Buy, hey, that's just my opinion.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marc, I don't disagree, I'm just wondering if you could respond to health care as it compares to public education. This seems to be the hot comparison -- if we have public education for all children, why not public healthcare -- either for children or for everyone. Generally speaking I respond with your basic free market economy response, but I wondered if you had any particular spin on this subject.

Marc said...

An excellent example, L. Why are people pulling their kids out of public education? Because it is yet another "service" the gov't messed up.

Additionally, public education will always end. There aren't any 47 year olds in public school. It's ONLY for children as they are the only ones who require it. Healthcare is useful for everyone.

I can't say that I'd be against gov't healthcare for kids of people who need assistance. but don't try to tell me that kids are 25 and under or that families that need help make 80K! And if you don't pay taxes, you don't get the service.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Marc! Miss you guys! I posted a few current pics today - check out K.'s new glasses!

Unknown said...

So - what kind of health care system would you create? What would your restrictions/limitations be? I dont' really know about this bill, but I'll say from this side of the world, it does seem a bit heartless on Bush's part to veto it. But I agree, 25 seems high. I really am interested to see what you think about alternatives.