Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Voting Booth, Volume IV

Durations

I must admit, I was slightly bothered by Barack's recent trip to Iraq. He met with the Prime Minister to discuss a "horizon" for US troop withdrawal. Um, Senator? You're still just a Senator. You are not yet the leader of the free world nor should you be conducting yourself as such.

Of course, this was a political move on both of their parts. The Prime Minister is up for re-election and he needs to look like he's taking steps to usher the Americans out and Barack needs to look like he has some foreign affairs and Commander in Chief experience.

Anyone want to take a stab at how long Barack has been an acting US Senator as of today?
1295 days.

I spent more time in college than he's spent as a US Senator.

Barack: 185 weeks.
College: 194+ weeks.

Which is really begin generous because that's as of today and he's been campaigning now for quite some time. Can we really consider that an acting US Senator?

How about this statistic: Anyone want to guess how long McCain was in the Prisoner of War camp in Hanoi?
1967 Days.

John McCain spent more time as a POW than Barack has spent as a US Senator!
Barack in Congress: 3 years 6 months 2 weeks 4 days
McCain in Vietnam: 5 years 4 months 2 weeks 3 days

What's the difference? Just a few days more than my little Full House has been breathing.
2 years 1 month.

I don't know about you, but I'm having difficulty envisioning a freshman Senator who hasn't even served a full term yet who has spent less time in his current position than his opponent did as a POW as a viable Presidential Candidate. I'm also having problems favoring a man who was 21 years old when his opponent was first elected to Congress. Wouldn't this be like a freshman transfer student running for Student Council President?

Yeah, it is.

But, apart from the facts, it's all just my opinion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marc,

great Blog site. Never done this before and since I am a geographical bachelor right now I have plenty of time to not only read but post a message. I am anxiously waiting for the Sox vs Yankees this weekend and any postings resulting from that. Any thoughts on the Giants letting Shockey go? I think Shockey was a distraction to the Giants. I also think that the Army should let Caleb Cambell play for Detriot. Anyways thats all for now. Bill

Russamoto said...

Oh, your election post is so much better than mine! Oh, and can I just say that I am watching Iron Chef America as I type this segment.