Saturday, June 13, 2009

Dismantling Food

Recently, I admitted to myself that I have a strange eating habit. I dismantle food (If this confuses you, you'll understand more as you read). I used to think this was localized only to one or two snacks. However, the more I reflected on this abnormality, the more I concluded that, when it comes to dismantling food, I practically do it whenever possible.

I first started to consider this issue when Reese ran their "There's no wrong way to eat a Reese" campaign.

How do I eat my Reese Peanut Butter Cups? I bite off the chocolate around the circumference of the cup. Then I see if I can get the chocolate off the top. Then I eat the peanut butter. I dismantle it - bit by bit.

Anyway. This all came to a head on Friday when I had a few different snacks in relative rapid succession.

I had a Pop Tart. (I bite the edges off, then try to slide apart the middle so I have the frosting and the filling on the top and bottom.)

I had some Combos. (I try to isolate the filling by biting off the pretzel or breading from around the outside. Then I pop the middle in my mouth)

I had some Kit Kats. (I bite off the ends and then I lift off each level of wafer with my teeth as I devour the candy bar).

I stopped mid Kit Kat and realized that within five hours I'd dismantled four different foods! (I'd already had a peanut butter cup). Then I thought about other foods:

Swiss Cake Rolls: I eat the chocolate coating off and then unroll it as I eat it.

Reese Sticks: I eat these the same way I eat Kit Kats, biting off one layer at a time.

Think it ends there? I wish! In fact, not only does it not end,it gets worse! I have trouble eating an Oreo without opening it and licking off the filling. I even try to nibble off the candy shell of Reese' Pieces and eat the peanut butter by itself!

Think that's crazy? While this one is not as consistent as all of the others, I've even been known to chew off the breading from Mozzarella Sticks if they've gotten a little cool and the cheese has congealed inside them!

Even as I wrote this I found I was realizing even more foods I do this to! (Don't worry, I added them as I went). But what does this bizarre eating habit say about me? Do I even want to know?! I may be opening Pandora's box but ... I am inviting you to offer your opinions on what this says about me, or what part of my personality you think is being reflected. Fire away!

(Ok, but I am not as bad as my college friend who used to rip off the "fry butts" and eat only the middles leaving a pile of amputated fry ends on her plate! ... Right?)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
And one other thing: Congratulations to the QofH for reaching the milestone of her first 100 posts on It's Called Guilt. If you haven't yet, be sure to check out her insightful blog on motherhood!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I think we should discuss the choice of food more than how you eat them. How 'bout an apple? A banana? Grapes?

:D

mystereiss said...

Was thinking the same thing. QoH allows all that junk in the house??? :)

mystereiss said...

'twas Dawn, btw.

Marc said...

It's not like this is all that I eat, it's what I dismantle. I eat apples and bananas (though I'm not a fan of grapes) and pasta and pizza and non soy non dairy homemade mushroom based dishes. I'm focusing, here, on what I take apart as I eat it.

Blueberry Eyes Design said...

Disgusting! (mozzerella sticks). but I do the same thing with swiss cake rolls, althouh, I can't remember the last time I've had one! Now I want one.

Dawn said...

"non soy non dairy homemade mushroom based dishes"

best thing i've read all day. :) seriously, that sounds delish. i LOVE mushrooms.

when i was a kid, i used to dismantle most of my food or nibble to make it last as long as possible. this was when someone else was deciding for me how many of each junk item i could have. :)

Sarah said...

I dismantle some things. I love to eat my Twix in layers. First the carmel, then the chocolate and then the cookie. I tend to pick apart my sandwhiches about half way through. Its not just you.

Queen of Hearts said...

Wow - I can't believe you're not the only one! I remember college - you'd eat Lucky Charms cereal bit-by-bit. First you'd eat the cheerios-type parts. Then the marshmallow bits. But when you ate, you'd do it from left to right - and not push your cereal down into the milk. Then I'd yell at you to drink the milk and not just throw it away. Wow - guess the yelling started early, huh?

Queen of Hearts said...

Oh, and Dawn - just so you know - this is what he'll eat at work. Or when his mom buys it for him so he won't be deprived!

Marc said...

Dawn... Maybe that's what it is. I, too, was limited as to my sweets intake. Perhaps this is a hold-over from when I needed each one to be savored and last for a long time! Excellent insight!

Dawn said...

Why, thank you. :) Of course my excellent insight would be on a post about junk food, not the other 99% of your blog topics!! Ha!! :)