Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fatherhood: Day V, The End is Near

I've endeavored to have each post begin and end at midnight of each day. Therefore, this post would begin at 3AM when Wild Card woke up. It would continue until 4:30 when she finally went down and then it would start up again at 6AM when she woke up again. I could not get her down in her own bed so I figured I'd try what the QoH always does. My daughter was kind enough to fall back asleep next to me until almost 8!

With this being my final full day on my own, as it were, I packed it to the gills. We had breakfast and I figured I'd attempt the same maneuver I tried on Thursday. I got my little lady to sleep in her crib for her nap and prepared to take everyone to our local Apple Harvest Festival. That took about an hour so even though I managed to get her into her car seat asleep, when I put her in the car she woke up. No problem.

Full House was very excited to take the school bus shuttle from the high school to the festival. Some kind strangers helped me with the stroller on and off the bus while I juggled two children and a diaper bag. Clearly the highlight of the festival was the ferris wheel and the little kiddie roller coaster. We went to those three times.

Gia met us at the festival and we had fun walking around, looking at crafts. Full House got a froggy balloon animal. We got to see the annual bed races and I got to be a responsible father and register both children with the Amber Alert system.

Then it was time to go home, have lunch and nap time. All went without a hitch.

Seeing as I wasn't able to have my car looked at yesterday, I arranged to have it seen today. I took Full House and Wild Card over to Gia's house and drove to my mechanic friend's house. I packed dinner for them and began to execute a premeditated plan.

Seeing as they ganged up on me last night, I figured I'd stage a counter-offensive myself. I purposefully kept them out just a little longer than I should have. Little Miss fell asleep in the car on the way home and Little Man couldn't wait to crawl into bed. How do you like dem apples?!

What a fairly uneventful day.

5 comments:

ahartley said...

Keep it strong brother! I am very impressed with your improvisation and street smarts. You make me want to be a better man.

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am very impressed with your multi tasking skills! What a Dad and husband. Great job and what adventures!! Do tell though which do think is easier to go to work everyday or stay home with the children??

Marc said...

Hi Anonymous.

It is an interesting question which you pose. Going to work everyday there are certain expectations that I have to live up to. At home, I have similar expectations, but I can do them at a park, museum, grocery store, or at home.

At home, if my child doesn't listen, I have some disciplinary actions I can take. If he still doesn't listen it makes for a tough situation. At work, if someone doesn't listen I can fire them.

At work, I get two 15 minute breaks and an unpaid 1/2 hour lunch. At home, if I can get them both in bed at the same time I can get a 3 hour break. If they are playing together I can steal 20 minutes here and 20 minutes there.

At work I can talk to adults. At home I get to listen to "Baby Beluga" 573 times in a row.

At work I have a set schedule that I must adhere to. At home, I decide when we eat, when it's nap time, where we go.

I get paid to go to work.

I guess work wins :)

Unknown said...

OK, so, we were pretty impressed at your timely arrival at Sunday School, and your impeccable preparation....How'd you do it? We want to hear at your next post!

Sarah said...

You get paid to parent, its just that that currency is not accepted anywhere else.
For me work is rest. (most of the time) It allows me to be me and not mommy, which is nice to have a break from sometimes. Though sometimes I deal with more immaturity here than with my 3 1/2 year old.
And dont feel bad that you cant figure out your 3 yr old, I cant figure out mine either.