Thursday, August 18, 2005

P.O.'d by T.O.

I'm not sure what kind of sports following I have here at the early stages of this blog but I'm a big sports guy so there will probably be a few (read: "many") sports posts.

This one is about Terrell Owens, wide receiver for the Super Bowl losing Philly Eagles. He seems to have some sort of chip on his shoulder and was recently asked to leave the pre-season practices by his coach for disciplinary actions. He has been reamed by the national sports media for this. He has responded with an article on his website in the form of a letter to his fans. The part that really gets me reads as follows:

"Terrell only asks what every other worker in America asks for, respect and dignity"

Yeah. I can't think of anyone else who strikes me as the "fight traffic to commute to my blue collar job so I can pay the mortgage" everyday American worker. I would be demanding respect if I made a measly $9,160,700. I'm not even making $10,000,000 to catch a football! The least you can do is show me some respect!

Respect? I'll tell you who I respect: Tom Brady, Priest Holmes, Brett Favre, Rodney Harrison. These are people who do their job, know the game, and don't spout off about how good they are. These are players who are respectable to their coaches, thankful to their fans, and reliable on the field.

Closing with an anecdote: Rodney Harrison had just assisted in the defeat of the Indy Colts in 2004. He was elated and celebrating with his coach when General Belichick said, "Great job, now we've got one more!" Rodney Harrison (one of the most feared safeties in the game because he plays and hits hard) who was just hugging this man turned to him and said "Yes, sir."

Respect is given to those who display it.

And that's just my opinion.

1 comment:

leanne said...

Hi Marc,
I'm enjoying your blog and comments so far - good stuff. As for Terrell Owens? What a freaking crybaby. You're right on the money with the Brady, Favre, et. al. comment.