Friday, August 19, 2005

The Queen of Hearts and a Whiffle ball

I am going to risk sounding like a Jane Austin novel and subtitle this post Pride and Guilt. Here's why:

My lovely wife, the Queen of Hearts, and I went to attend a weekly meeting at our church. Either it was canceled and we weren't informed or it's the summer and everyone else was busy. Either way, we were the only ones there. Ok, we decide we will wait around to see if anyone else will show. My wife suggests that we use some of the sporting equipment in the car. GREAT! Yeah, let's play some whiffle ball.

Now, before I continue, I need to inform you that this is no regular whiffle ball with the four slots on one side made of somewhat soft plastic. No no. This is someone's cruel idea of a whiffle ball. This is made of industrial plastic. There are not slots and there is no give to this ball. It is solid!

So, I'm pitching to my wife and she is shelling me! I'm tossin' the knuckler, the heat, the circle change, the curve and she is hitting all of them (except the knuckle which I couldn't get over the plate) to all fields! I finally catch a liner and so we switch places.

Now she's pitching to me. I hit a few. I miss many. Then she throws me a perfect pitch. Right across the numbers-right across the plate! I crack that pitch on a frozen rope right up the middle. You guessed it:

Think "Matt Clement."

I nailed the Queen of Hearts right on the forehead! A direct hit! I knew it as soon as I hit the ball. I started running after it hoping to catch it from behind. No such luck. This is the guilt part of the post.

Here comes the pride: The Queen of Hearts, after taking a knee, shook it off. She got up and said, "I know you didn't mean it. This kinda thing happens. Can you imagine what Matt Clement experienced?" I asked if she'd be afraid to play again. "No." was her simple answer!

What a woman! What a wife!

We got home and put some ice on it and the swelling is nearly gone. I still feel a little badly (please note the correct grammar) but I'm so proud of my wife!

(whoops, this is one of those "here's what I did yesterday." Oh well. My wife is amazing and that's the truth)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL ... what are the odds? Wish I had been there ...

Anonymous said...

Owww!! Knocking one's spouse in the head with a whiffle ball deserves to be blogged - chatty or not!