Tuesday, January 15, 2008

All Four Super Bowl Previews II

What a weekend! Both America's team and America's QB fail to make it to the Conference Games! (Only one of which I was fortunate enough to predict.) While we're on the subject, I just want to point out that I went 3 out of 4 last week and had Dallas been able to eek out a three point win by actually scoring at the end of the game instead of being wrongfully penalized and then tossing a pick, I'd have gone 4 for 4. How's that for predictions, Dr?

So, with the NFL's final four set, I'm going to take a few minutes to preview all four possible Super Bowls. This is one of my favorite posts of the year. (Check out All Four Super Bowl Previews Vol I)

One thing I'd like to point out is that, unlike last year, there isn't really a game that I'm praying doesn't happen. And, wouldn't you know it, last years big game was the very game that we all least desired to watch. Thankfully, we don't have that dilemma this year. All four games should be very competitive.

Alright, so from least interesting Super Bowl to most:

Green Bay vs San Diego
The biggest reason why this is the most boring Super Bowl is there's no real story line here. Sure, one team started out 1-3 and the other 10-0 but there's no interteam plot line. This is a difficult game to call. The teams match up well and near seems as though they'd run away with the game. I suppose I'd have to take into account that if the Chargers are there, they beat the Patriots. But they've got some "minor" (according to the team) injuries to Brees and LT. As I think this game would be close, and I don't see Favre letting this opportunity pass him by, I think the Pack would find a way to win. Final Score: 23-21 Green Bay

New York vs New England
Oh, just what the country needs: Another Brady/Manning rivalry! While I believe this game would be the second worst option for Joe Average-NFL-Fan, with all of the Giants fans that I know, this is probably the game I'd most like to see. Then there's the rematch angle: They didn't win the first time they attempted to thwart the Patriots historic quest, perhaps they can succeed the second time. I have to apologize to my brother-in-law, I don't think the Giants are a very good team. If they manage to over come the Packers, I don't see how they can stop the juggernaut that is the Patriots. (Getting this far in the playoffs is probably one of the worst things that could have happened to the Giants. Now Coughlin won't leave for a few more years!) I've heard people say that the Giants won because you don't beat the same team three times in a year. Well, you can do it twice. Final Score: 38-20 New England

New York vs San Diego
This match up probably has the best story-line for the marketing of the game. Eli Manning was originally drafted by the Chargers but he refused to play for them because they were so bad at the time. The Giants traded draft picks for him. With those picks the Chargers got Rivers, Merriman, and Kaeding, three massive keys to their success. So, who made the better deal? If this is the match up for the Super Bowl, here is where we find out. And the answer? Final Score: 28-17 San Diego

Green Bay vs New England
This is the game the networks and NFL exec's want. The up and comer in Brady vs the time tested soldier in Favre. The rematch of Super Bowl XXXI where the Packers defeated the Patriots 35-21 in 1997. This is a tough match up. While the Patriots have proven they can stop the run, Green Bay has some very good cornerbacks who could reek havoc on Brady's passing plans. And let's not forget that New England's pass rush often flushes QB's out of the pocket. While I'm already eating my words regarding Favre's returning this year, he's still no spring chicken. If he has to scramble too much, he may be forced to make a mistake or two, and that's all the Patriots need. It really is a toss-up which game (this one or the NY-NE) I'd prefer. Of the elite eight NFL teams (DAL, NYG, GB, SEA, IND, JAX, SD) the only two the Patriots haven't defeated this year are Green Bay and Seattle. If the Patriots can face off and defeat the Pack, they'd have beaten 9 out of the 11 playoff teams. Missing only Seattle and Tampa Bay (two teams whose playoff ability was questionable at best.) That is an amazing feat. Final Score: 38-24 Patriots

Which ever teams face off in the big dance this year. It's sure to be exciting. Especially if the Patriots are making a bid at history!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hey Marc, nice previews. I totally agree on the packers/pats superbowl. That's what I want to see for sure. What pathetic games last weekend. We were looking forward to being a house divided this weekend(pats/colts) but alas, it was not meant to be. Now the logical choice here would be the Packers, being Wisconsin is only 2 hours away, but I'll be rooting for the home sweet home team. GO PATS!