Friday, January 04, 2008

The American Voter

Today, I had a conversation with the quintesencial American voter.

One of the first things she said after mentioning the Iowa caucuses was that she was voting for Clinton. "We don't want another Republican in office, that's for sure!" She said.

Ok, I'm listening.

You see, she's from Nevada and she proceeded to go on a 7 minute tyraid about how the illegals are destroying her state. They are taking jobs, not paying taxes, taking housing, and using undeserved state programs. "They drive up in their 2007 Cadilacs and get their food stamp cards." She went on to say that there were a whole bunch of them living in the low income housing developement near her neighborhood and that she, and all of her neighbors, had been robbed by the illegals.

Now, was she being racist? Yes. Is it a guarentee that they were robbed by illegals? No. Was she sure that the problem of the illegals was the most important issue for this election? Yes.

As I was at work, I was unable to betray my own leanings. So I asked a question that seemed only logical. I said, "You seem really concerned about that, have you read up on Hillary's stance on the illegal immigration problem?"

"You know, that's a good idea!" Came her response. "That's a good idea!" Not only had she not done it, it hadn't even crossed her mind!

The American voter casts their ballot based on criteria at which I can't even venture a guess. The issues? There's a novel idea!

I can't help but think of the time of Judges and Kings, when the Lord gave them over to the desires of their hearts! Dear God, no!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inspiring! I spent about an hour yesterday after reading your post looking up each of the candidates, reading through their positions on the issues, and bookmarking the page for future reference.

We live in a scary world! -- This statement partly on your conversation with your co-worker, and partly on some of what I read from the candidates!

~L.

Marc said...

Thanks L, I'm glad this spurred you to action. One thing I should clarify. Had this been a co-worker, I'd have been free to express myself. This was with a customer!