Friday, January 11, 2008

Playoff predictions

I'm sure you are all eagerly awaiting my Divisional round playoff predictions so you can run to Vegas (or Atlantic City, depending on which is closer) and put your life savings on the exact opposite of what I predict. So let's get started:

Saturday 4pm
Seatle at Green Bay (-7)
Somehow I managed to pick both NFC games wrong last week and both AFC games correct. (I wouldn't be crushed if the same happened this week as well...) Seattle's running game is still not what it needs to be to get past Green Bay. Hasselbeck makes too many poor decisions in his throwing game to pass the Seahawks past the Packers, especially with Woodson and Harris covering Seattle's WRs. People talk about playoff experience (Seattle by far outweighs GB in that category) but I'll take GB's talent over Seattle's experience. Green Bay and the points.

Saturday 8:30pm
Jacksonville at New England (-10)
The Jaguars are the sexy pick this week. Supposedly, their "power running game" will keep Brady off the field the entire game. Here's the problem: The Jaguar's can't hold a lead. They blew 14 and 18 point leads against Pittsburgh, a team that lost 34-13 to New England at home! Even if Jacksonville gets a lead, it better be 20+ or they don't stand a chance. And let's not forget that Belichick somehow always finds a way to take away what you are best at. Watch for the potent double barrelled running game of Jones-Drew and Taylor to amass 78 yards on the ground. Then watch Garrard throw to his favorite targets Samuel, Harrison, and Hobbs. Sorry, Jacksonville, your journey ends in Foxboro. Patriots and the points.

Sunday 1pm
San Diego at Indianapolis (-10)
Originally, I had San Diego going into the Peyton-dome and walking out an easy winner. However, with Gates hurt, that leaves only Chambers for the Indy DBs to really concern themselves with. So, with two men on Chambers, that leaves 9 to tackle LT. However, Indy is still without Harrison and Freeny and Cromartie seemed to bewilder Peyton in their last meeting. This is definitely the hardest game to call. I know that it will be close. In the end, I'm going with my gut and saying that Rivers and company will shock Indy, winning by 4. Peyton will fail to convert on a fourth and mid during his bid for a game winning drive. San Diego outright.

Sunday 4:30pm
New York Giants at Dallas (-10)
I have bad news for the Giants. Peyton has to play his own game this week and he isn't going to be able to wear his brother's #10 and play in his stead. So Eli will have to play against the Cowboys. This means the Giants will lose. TO played on a broken leg in the Super Bowl, I think he can handle a sprained ankle. Jessica has promised that she won't be at the game so Romo will be his regular self. However, I don't think it will be a blowout. Dallas peaked a few weeks ago, but too many injuries for New York means that Dallas will host the NFC Championship game next week. Dallas wins, New York covers.

2 comments:

Apu said...

you said,
Originally, I had San Diego going into the Peyton-dome and walking out an easy winner. However, with Gates hurt, that leaves only Chambers for the Indy DBs to really concern themselves with. So, with two men on Chambers, that leaves 9 to tackle LT. However, Indy is still without Harrison and Freeny and Cromartie seemed to bewilder Peyton in their last meeting. This is definitely the hardest game to call. I know that it will be close. In the end, I'm going with my gut and saying that Rivers and company will shock Indy, winning by 4. Peyton will fail to convert on a fourth and mid during his bid for a game winning drive. San Diego outright.

Marc, you are prophetic. I read so many previews and watched all the pundits and NOBODY predicted this particular game like you did, not even me. Like the Colts, I was looking ahead to the Dream Game in Foxboro, but alas, it will not come to be. Instead we'll watch the Pats trounce the Chargers B-team. and I'm okay with that. FYI, I heard the line for the Pats-Chargers opened at FIFTEEN.

Marc said...

Apu!!! Great to hear from you! So sorry that our contact has been spuratic!

Thanks for the comment. I forgot how specifically I had predicted this game.

What do you think of my Super Bowl previews?

Hows the fam? Still at the pub co?

Miss you, man.