Tuesday, January 29, 2008

200 & Counting!

Though it took me nearly twice as long to reach 200 posts as it did to reach 100, I've finally reached this milestone. (There were six months where I had either 1 or absolutely zero posts!) But, I have attained 200 and, therefore, like any aspect of popular culture (Am I selling myself a bit high there?), here is my second "look back" at the last 100 posts.

When you've had more than one "recap" episode, usually you mention the first one and what a great success it was. You won't want to miss the first 100!

And now, we take a glance at the recurring characters:

Immigration: This has always been a contentious topic. No posts have more comments than the ones were I suggest that we tighten up our boarders and actually obey our own laws. (That comment was probably just edgy enough to warrant a few comments of its own.)

The NFL Power Rankings: I never really figured out if anyone read these with the exception of one reader who was nice enough to let me know that they were important to her. If not for her comment on week 8, I might have stopped them entirely. If you wanna revisit any of the weeks here they are: NFL Preview, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, Post Season preview I, Post Season preview II, and Super Bowl previews.

Politics: Next to sports, politics was the second most common character during these past 100 posts. The mid-term and up-coming elections taking the spotlight in this category. With Global Warming, local politics and the Spin Cycle (which could become a regular section) rounding out the top 5.

The Red Sox: There has been a surprising lack of Red Sox talk over the last 100! Some discussion because Ortiz deserved the MVP and didn't get it in '06. Then some brief comments about the fantastic surreal World Series run in '07.

Finally, our most recurring character: Barry Bonds: This really bugs me. Every time I mentioned him I said it was probably, hopefully, most likely the final time. Yeah, Barry appeared eight times during the past 100 posts. Thankfully, as he's "broken" the record and is "headed" to jail. This looks like it may be the last time we hear about him on this blog for quite some time... I hope.

The next portion of a good flashback episode is recounting all of the funny and favorite moments. Here are a few of mine:

From The American Voter

...So I asked a question that seemed only logical. I said, "You seem really concerned about that [issue], have you read up on Hillary's stance on the illegal immigration problem?"

"You know, that's a good idea!" Came her response. "That's a good idea!" Not only had she not done it, it hadn't even crossed her mind!


From Here's my free speech:
2) What if (God forbid) the student went Virginia Tech on the audience? Would we not be saying, "Why didn't they stop him? Why did they allow him to go over his time limit? Couldn't they see he was losing control?" Aren't way too many people trying to blame VT's decisions of that day for the tragedy? Seems to me the police would be the favorite target if they didn't do anything as well. Sorry people-who-daily-put-their-lives-in-jeopardy-so-that-I-can-feel-safe-while-I-sip-my-$8.57-(not-including-tip)-grande-mocha-latte-complaining-about-the-war-in-another-country-that-I'm-not-really-feeling-the-effects-of-while-I-offer-zero-solutions-to-solve-it, you're wrong no matter what you do.


From: Speaking at Harvard:

The following is a survey for potential speakers at Harvard University.

Please fill out the following questionnaire to determine your suitability for speaking at the prestigious Harvard University:


1) Are you:

A) The leader of the free world?
B) A very successful business man?
C) White
D) The leader of an international terrorist organization?
E) Anyone who strongly disagrees with the current administration?
If your answer is A, B, or C, please stop here, you are not suitable to speak at Harvard.

If you answer was D, please answer the following:

2) Which best describes you:

A) I am a reformed terrorist. I have turned in many of my former comrades in destruction.
B) I support them only with money. I have not attended any training camps.
C) I desire to see the entirety of America in flames
If your answer is A or B, please stop here, you are not suitable to speak at Harvard.

If your answer to question 1 was E, please answer the following:

3) Which best describes you:

A) I voice my dissent at the voting booth only.
B) I actively campaigned for an opponent of this administration who was not a Libertarian
C) I have been arrested more times than I can count because of my demonstrating against this administration
If your answer is A or B, please stop here, you are not suitable to speak at Harvard.

If you have made it this far, please answer yes or no to the following:

4) Do you know what an IED is?
5) Have you ever strapped one to your body?
6) Do you think Clinton should be able to serve a third term?
7) Do you think Christians should still be fed to lions?
8) Would you consider your political views "Left of the Left?"
If you answered "No" to any of these questions, please stop here, you are not suitable to speak at Harvard.

If you have made it this far, please submit this form to Harvard for further consideration. We will interview you to make sure there is absolutely nothing that appears to be common sense or main stream thought emitting from your mouth. After all, we must be open minded at such a prestigious educational institution. If you are not suitable to speak at Harvard, please go take a flying leap. Maybe Yale will take you. You may enjoy the post below this one regarding the NFL.

Please be aware: If you are the most successful African American Female in US government, you are welcome to speak at Harvard but you will face massive protests and name calling.

Thank you,
The Harvard Board of Directors


(And while we are on the subject of people speaking at universities...) Check out Yup Not In Your Name

From Living in the US is so taxing!:
I wonder if I would care that I was so taxed if I felt like there was something to show for it besides roads that there isn't enough money to repave, schools that are turning out children who can pass a certain standardized test, a boarder patrol that has more holes than OJ's alibi, a judicial branch that likes making laws and a legislative that is afraid to, health care that costs more than me taxes, and money to fund free abortions for minors rather than properly fund our foster care system. But that's probably asking too much.


From Not going anywhere for a while?:
The top ten reasons that I would want to be President:
10) To win a "popular election" because just over 20% of the entire US population actually voted for me. (Another 17% voted for the other guy, and 63% stayed home)
...
6) To hit the entire talk show circuit while campaigning (making sure to get on Oprah twice)
5) To be considered wrong by at least 50% of the US population
...
3) To spend $5,000,000 to get a job that pays $250,000 per year with a $100,000 per year pension once I'm done. All the while I get to age thirty years in the course of eight. Sign me up!
2) To know that at all times there are at least four people plotting my assassination and one Vice President who wishes one of them would succeed.
And the number one reason that I would want to be president:
1) To be impersonated on SNL!


Of course, there are always those posts that are simply impossible to excerpt. The good ones tend to fall in a few categories. Here they are:

In the interest of bettering society, I had two posts that were dedicated to recommendations that made things better:
Sports
The Oscars

Then there are the social posts:
Are we patients or customers?
Should we abstain from abstinence programs?
To Santa or not to Santa...

Finally, the political posts:
Kennedy
Generic
The War

Last but not least, it's time for "amazing moments." As we end our look back we actually have two moments to share from the same post:

I wrote these predictions on January 11th:
Saturday 8:30pm
Jacksonville at New England (-10)
The Jaguars are the sexy pick this week. Supposedly, their "power running game" will keep Brady off the field the entire game. Here's the problem: The Jaguar's can't hold a lead. They blew 14 and 18 point leads against Pittsburgh, a team that lost 34-13 to New England at home! Even if Jacksonville gets a lead, it better be 20+ or they don't stand a chance. And let's not forget that Belichick somehow always finds a way to take away what you are best at. Watch for the potent double barrelled running game of Jones-Drew and Taylor to amass 78 yards on the ground. Then watch Garrard throw to his favorite targets Samuel, Harrison, and Hobbs. Sorry, Jacksonville, your journey ends in Foxboro. Patriots and the points.


Unfortunately, The Patriots were unable to hold the Jaguars to 78 yards. Jacksonville rushed for 80. I was two yards off! And the Patriots won by 11, covering the spread.

This prediction was over shadowed, however, by the one that followed immediately after it:
Sunday 1pm
San Diego at Indianapolis (-10)
Originally, I had San Diego going into the Peyton-dome and walking out an easy winner. However, with Gates hurt, that leaves only Chambers for the Indy DBs to really concern themselves with. So, with two men on Chambers, that leaves 9 to tackle LT. However, Indy is still without Harrison and Freeny and Cromartie seemed to bewilder Peyton in their last meeting. This is definitely the hardest game to call. I know that it will be close. In the end, I'm going with my gut and saying that Rivers and company will shock Indy, winning by 4. Peyton will fail to convert on a fourth and mid during his bid for a game winning drive. San Diego outright.


People called me crazy. They said I didn't know anything about football. What happened? Peyton threw an incomplete pass on 4th and 6 to Dallas Clark on their final drive and lost to the Chargers by a score of 28-24. Whose crazy now?

Well, it took me from April of 2006 to January of 2008 to reach 200. Hopefully, 300 (which was a great movie, by the way) won't take me nearly that long!

Thanks for joining me on this trip back, I hope you'll join me on the journey forward!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm the first to say congrats! : ) It's fun reading your blog - reminds me of when we were hanging out all the time!

Marc said...

Thank Matthew! (Do you have a blog... I've only found your family pictures...)

Do you still watch TBL even though you aren't on it? (Great tearing up on national TV, by the way)

Dawn said...

Loved the recap! I think it's a very worthwhile exercise to look over what's been said and track various trends & ideas. A nice capsule of your thoughts & the current issues.