Friday, September 30, 2005

Psst: William, stop talking!

I have tried and failed to preface the following quote with an introductory paragraph. I've failed and this was the best thing I could think of. So, we'll just start with the quote.

"If you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose -- you could abort every black baby in this country and your crime rate would go down. That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down, so these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky."

No no, you read it right. That's what he said. But here's a bigger kicker: He's sticking by it! Ok, so who is he? He is William Bennett, former education secretary under President Reagan and drug czar under President Bush Sr. He said it on his radio show "Morning in America" in response to a callers question that mentioned that crime is down because abortion is up. (Of course, this ignores the fact that crime is measured by capita, so if the capita is down crime should be up.)

So, what is wrong with these people? I throw Kanye West and William Bennett into the same group: people who promote racism! Again why would the color of their skin make a difference? What was he trying to say? Did Mr. Bennett mean to say abort all the babies of poor people? Inner city people? Mind you, these are not my stereo types, but it seems they might be Mr. Bennett's.

Here's my intellectual analysis: What a stupid stupid stupid thing to say!

Even if he was using hyperbole, even if it was to show the stupidity of the comment, when the news comes to you, say that! He has not claimed that was his purpose. He has not said it was satire.

Now, you know that I can't avoid bashing others in this! First, the media. I saw this reported two places: CNN.com and in the Boston Herald. The article on CNN.com quoted him differently than the Herald. CNN.com had him saying that the action would be "impossibly ridiculous" and they had a paragraph break between the end of the first sentence and the start of the second. Not only that, but they had the first part of the quote in the second paragraph of the article and the second in the third. They also left off the third sentence. The one sentence that makes it possible for him to have been satirizing the idea. Did he pause between sentences? Was there a minute of silence on his radio show? Why put the paragraph break? Wasn't there a study that said that most people read the first two paragraphs of an article, then skip to the end? Are you reading this paragraph? Just something I noticed. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Second. Nancy Peloci "called on President Bush to condemn the comments by Bennett." There was no mention which one, so we must assume she meant the current president, seeing as the only former president that democrats still refer to as president is Mr. Clinton. How is this the president's responsibility? Does he need to respond to every comment made on every morning show in America? You know, Dennis and Callahan on WEEI this morning said something about killing all pitbulls! I think the President needs to renounce that kind of blind hatred for a certain type of dog!

This is ridiculous! Will the left of the left stop at nothing to try and politize everything? Katrina, Rita, now this? At least Senator Kennedy kept his remarks aimed in the right direction! He demanded that Bennett apologize. Good for you Eddie! Way to keep your politics separate from your outrage!

Write down the date: I agree with Senator Kennedy. Bennett needs to apologize and not justify. It was a really stupid thing to say.

I'd say that's just my opinion, but it seems so darn obvious!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently he forgot to have his "examine what comes out of your mouth first" morning coffee. And he should have been more exact, anyway. I mean, if you just put "proletariat" in place of the word "black" you'd come pretty close to the far-left Marxist/elitist view of the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait till we have a democrat president, then you'll start making blog posts defending how republicans don't make everything political. hahaha

Anonymous said...

Sigh...I guess republicans and their crazy extremists will continue saying things like this :-/

Also, how is this not political? He was having a political discussion on a syndicated radio show. I guess when it hurts their party, people make claims that it is "politisized"

Marc said...

If the republicans politicize things that aren't the concern of the president they'll hear it from me!

I'm not suggesting that it wasn't a political statement. I'm saying that it's not something that the President needs to concern himself with! If the president had to respond to every stupid thing said on every political talk show he'd have no time to run the country!

William has apologized since this original post was written.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marc. I'm a bit slow on the uptake, as I just found your blog a week or so ago. But I wanted to welcome you to the Blogosphere. I've added you to the Gordonexus page over at our website. Keep up the good posting! I'll certainly stop by again.