Wednesday, September 21, 2005

To censor or not to censor...

Here's something to talk about: Baylor University recently censored a quote by a homosexual author that was printed on the coffee cups being used by the Starbucks on their campus. Some of you may be aware (I was not) that Baylor University is affiliated with the Baptist General Confernce in Texas.

So, is anyone outraged that a Christian place of higher education has censored a quote simply because of the sexual orientation of the author? Does it matter what he said?

Well, here's the quote: "My only regrtet about being gay is that I repressed if for so long. I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don't make that mistake yourself. Life's too damn short." Should that have been censored? This statement clearly encourages a lifestyle that is not supported by the university or the denomination with which the university is affiliated.

Or is the problem instead with Starbucks. Does Starbucks support a lifestyle that the university doesn't? Shouldn't Baylor remove Starbucks instead of just removing their cups?

I seems our convictions only go so far. "Well, we don't agree with the cups, so they have to go! But we really like our Starbucks, so even though they made the cups, they can stay!"

Hey, just my opinion.

3 comments:

tchittom said...

Maybe the most politically expedient choice is simply to remove the cups. They can sell them to members of the ERA, or to tourists in San Francisco.

Marc said...

the ERA?

tchittom said...

Yeah, you know, ERA Avaiation. They're all over the gay thing. (actually, it was a misprint, I meant NEA).